This curried carrot soup makes a wonderful and luxurious starter to a healthy meal. The recipe uses tofu, scallions and vegetable broth and is very easy to make.
Making a creamy soup is challenging if you are following a vegan diet since the diet bans all animal foods, including dairy products.
Enter silken tofu, Earth Balance buttery spread and Tofutti sour cream. When added to vegetable broth, these products turn an ordinary soup into one that is fit for entertaining. It is also totally vegan approved.
The tofu gives the soup a creamy texture without using any dairy products. The Earth Balance buttery spread adds richness to the broth and Tofutti finishes the look of the dish in style, as well as adding more flavor.
Are you a carrot lover? My mom used to tell me to eat carrots for good eyesight and her advice has stuck with me. I cook them every week without fail.
Today we’ll be using them in a creamy curry soup that is flavorful, easy to make and fits into a vegan diet.
Share this recipe for curried carrot soup on TwitterYour guests won't believe that this creamy curried carrot soup doesn't have even a drop of cream or butter in it. Get the recipe on The Gardening Cook.🥕🥣🥕 Click To Tweet
Vegan curried carrot soup
He is not a vegan, but his preference for animal protein goes out the window when it comes to curries. I often make vegetable curry for him and he loves a vegetarian curry just as much as one that contains meat.
He was in a curry mood the other night and I looked in the fridge to see what was there. Unfortunately, we haven’t shopped, so there wasn’t much more than carrots.
I added an onion, some spices and my vegan substitutes and this soup was born. It is amazing how much flavor you can get out of just a few ingredients.
Curried carrot soup ingredients
To make this curried carrot soup, you’ll need the following ingredients as well as the vegetable broth, silken Tofu, Earth Balance spread and Tofutti:
- curry powder
- red pepper flakes
- lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
Don’t let the meager list of ingredients fool you. Indian food is based on simple ingredients that get layered with one good flavor after another. They combine into one very tasty recipe.
Making this vegan carrot soup
Start with a large Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. Add the buttery spread, then the onions, carrots, curry powder and seasonings and cook until the curry powder starts to be aromatic.
Pour in the vegetable broth and add the silken tofu. Season again with salt and pepper and bring the soup to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are very tender.
You’ll want a smooth texture, so you can either use a blender or an immersion blender. I worked in small batches and pureed until the soup was very smooth.
Transfer back to a clean saucepan, add the lemon juice and more broth if needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cracked pepper, and swirl the soup (this helps for adding the creamy layer in just a minute.
Add the warmed Tofutti swirl it around swirl the circle. Add some parsley in the center to garnish and you are done!
Tasting this curried carrot soup
The soup is warm and spicy with a wonderfully rich flavor that is balanced nicely by the lemon juice. You don’t have to tell your guests that it is made without a drop of cream – they’ll never know!
The soup is quick to make, yummy and a great way to get kids to eat vegetables.
Serve the soup with some homemade Italian bread or focaccia to sop up the last of those delicious juices.
Other vegan recipes to try
Do you follow a vegan diet? Try these recipes for something new:
- Thai peanut stir fry – Full of spicy flavor with a cool protein substitute.
- Vegan lasagna with eggplant – This Italian delight is made with no meat.
- Double dark chocolate ice cream – Perfect for dessert or a snack.
Pin this vegan carrot soup for later
Would you like a reminder of the curried soup made for vegans? Just pin this image to one of your cooking boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
Admin note: this post for my vegan curried carrot soup first appeared on the blog in April of 2013. I have updated the post to add new photos, a printable recipe card with nutritional information and a video for you to enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1½ tablespoons yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or more as needed
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup Tofutti sour cream, warmed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the buttery spread followed by the onion, carrots, curry powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until the curry powder becomes toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the tofu. Season again with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in small batches in a blender or using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Strain and transfer to a clean large saucepan over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and more broth, if needed. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed, then heat through.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and spoon 1 tablespoon of warm Torutti sour cream in the middle of each blow.
- Swirl the Tofutti sour cream with a spoon in a wide circle, place a sprig of flat leaf parsley in the middle of each bowl of soup, and sprinkle with cracked black pepper and \serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 1231mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.