Join me in saying goodbye to my daughter, as she moves away, with these sunflower quotes and sayings as well as gorgeous photos of sunflowers that will bring a smile to your face.
My daughter Jess loves sunflowers. The first year I started my garden island beds, I made sure to plant them in all the beds. They have taken off and are blooming beautifully now.
Jess also loves to share pretty sunflower pictures with inspiring quotes printed on them.
Today we have the best of two words with these lovely sunflower sayings.
Sunflowers attract bees like nothing else I have planted. Next year, I am going to plant sunflowers around the edges of my vegetable garden bed to ensure good pollination.
I love the way Jess’s face lights up whenever she sees a beautiful sunflower blooming in my garden!
When fall rolls around, I combine sunflowers with pumpkins in a unique no carve sunflower pumpkin display. Check it out!
Jess spent a semester in the UK studying and I didn’t get to see her sunny smile very often while she was gone.
But what better way to say goodbye than with these sunflower sayings and photos?
I know that when she reads this post, she’ll be smiling just like the sunny sunflowers in the field she is standing in seem to do! Notice how they are all looking towards her?
Fun Facts about Sunflowers
Brush up on your knowledge of sunflowers with these fun facts.
- The botanical name for sunflower is helianthus annuus.
- Sunflower faces track the sun.
- There is a sunflower that is totally fluffy – it’s called the Teddy Bear Sunflower.
- Sunflower seeds are nutritious and make a great snack.
- The world’s tallest sunflower is featured in the Guinness Book of World Records. It is 30 feet, one inch!
- Parts of the sunflower have long been used for their healing properties.
- Sunflowers are symbols of faith, loyalty and adoration.
- They are one of the fastest growing plants.
- The largest head on a sunflower is 32 1/4 inches. It was grown by Emily Martin in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada in 1983.
- A single sunflower can have up to 2000 seeds!
- Sunflowers are normally yellow, but they can come in other colors too.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
Here are my sunflower quotes for Jess!
I love making graphics of beautiful flower images with quotes and sayings embedded in them. I find them to be very popular on social media and people also love to print them out and use them as greeting cards.
Here are some of my favorite images of sunflowers with sayings that make me think more about life.
And the yellow sunflower by the brook, in autumn beauty stood. – William Cullen Bryant
Never look directly at the sun, instead look at the sunflower. – Vera Nazarian,
The road to freedom is bordered with sunflowers – Martin Firrel.Turn your face to the sun, and shadows follow behind you. – an old Maori proverb.
A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns – Corina Abdulahm-Negura
True friends are like bright sunflowers that never fade away, even over distance and time. ― Marie Williams Johnstone
Sunflowers end up facing the sun, but they go through a lot of dirt to find their way there. ― J.R. Rim
We’re all golden sunflowers inside. – Allen Ginsberg
Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace. – Old French Proverb
Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant. – Robert Louis Stevensen
More Sunflower Quotes
Still looking for some inspiration? Here are some more sunflower words of wisdom. If you have a favorite quote, please leave it in the comments below and I’ll try to find a picture to make it into a sunflower sayings graphic.
1. Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. It’s what sunflowers do. – Helen Keller
2. Big doesn’t necessarily mean better. Sunflowers aren’t better than violets. – Edna Ferber
3. Every friend is to the other a sun, and a sunflower also. He attracts and follows. – Jean Paul Richter
4. The sunflower is a favorite emblem of constancy. – Thomas Bulfinch
5. Fame is the scentless sunflower, with gaudy crown of gold; But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold. – Oliver Wendell Holmes
6. Does she realize she looks like a sunflower, ready to rain sunlight on all who look down upon her? – Simone Elkeles
7. A sunflower poem:
The lofty follower of the sun,
Sad when he sets, shuts up her yellow leaves,
Drooping all night; and when he warm returns,
Points her enamor’d bosom to his ray.”
― James Thomson
8. A long time ago in a kingdom by the sea there lived a princess as tall and bright as a sunflower. ―Jeanne Desy
9. If roses tried to be sunflowers, they would lose their beauty; and if sunflowers tried to be roses, they would lose their strength. ―Matshona Dhliwayo
10. Mom has a massive sunflower for a soul so big there’s hardly any room in her for organs. ―Jandy Nelson
I hope these quotes about sunflowers have inspired you they way they will my daughter. Send them to a friend in a card or a text message. They are sure to bring a smile to the face of someone who is feeling down.
A note on these sunflower quotes
Making graphics such as these sunflower sayings take me quite a long time to do. If you share them on social media (and thank you for that!) please link to this page, rather than uploading the image yourself.
Do you grow any flowers in your garden in memory of a relative or loved one? I’d love to hear your story in the comments below.
Update: My daughter is on the move again! She moved to California just recently. And not surprisingly sunflowers got to say goodbye to her again.
Admin note: This post about saying goodbye to my daughter was first published in January of 2013. I have updated the post to add new quotes and graphics and a video for you to enjoy.
Pin these sunflower sayings for later.
Would you like a reminder of these quotes with sunflowers? Just pin this image to one of your motivation boards on Pinterest.
If you love quotes and sayings on pretty pictures, be sure to also check out these posts: