This recipe for Thai Vegetable Rice makes a great dish for oriental inspired main courses.
It has a nice mix of veggies and the chopped peanuts over the top give it the distinct Thai flavor.
The recipe is fast and easy to do. You can use either white rice or brown rice if you want a bit more nutritional value. Be sure to cook some extra rice – it’s perfect for making rice fritters another day.
I used brown rice today and it made for a very nutty dish that my husband loved.
Making Thai vegetable rice
To make this Thai rice with vegetables, combine the raisins, water, and rice with salt and pepper. I used brown rice and a rice cooker and it took about 50 minutes to cook.
Meanwhile, I made a trip to my vegetable garden to see if the carrots were big enough to use in the recipe. They were!
I got a small bunch of them, some green spring onions, and a bunch of fresh parsley.
The carrots were small so instead of grating as the recipe suggests, I sliced them finely. The onions and parsley got chopped too.
To make the dressing, you’ll need fresh lime, Mirin sauce and sesame oil. The lime has been in my fridge for a while and is a little sad looking but it was very juicy.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get much zest though… the poor thing was shriveled too much!
The prepared dressing is zesty and light. Next, I combined all the vegetables into one bowl and waited for the rice to finish cooking.
The rice got combined with the mixed vegetables, and I poured the zesty dressing over it and mixed it well.
The final touch was some chopped peanuts. I used dry roasted and unsalted peanuts.
This garden vegetable rice was a splendid accompaniment to my Thai Spicy Baked Chicken Recipe. The two make a very hearty and nutritious meal packed with lots of flavor and just a bit of a kick.
If you enjoy Thai cooking, be sure to check out my recipe for tamarind paste substitute. It’s an ingredient often called for in Thai recipes.
More Thai recipes
If you are as fond of Thai recipes as our family is, you may enjoy these recipes too:
- One Pot Beef Curry and Vegetables – Easy Thai Curry Recipe
- Thai Spicy Peanut Baked Chicken
- Pineapple Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk and Thai Chili Paste
- Thai Peanut Stir Fry With Brown Rice – Vegan Recipe for Meatless Monday
- Thai Chicken Chicken Coconut Soup – Tom Kah Gai
- 1 cup uncooked brown or white rice
- 3 tablespoons of raisins
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons of chopped dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- Combine the rice and raisins win water ancook rice according to package directions. ( I used a rice cooker.)
- Set aside.
- Combine the oil, lime juice, lime zest rice vinegar and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the rice, carrots, green onions and parsley together.
- Add the dressing mix and toss to blend.
- Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.