Oozing the cheesy goodness, these stuffed chicken rolls are easy enough for a busy week night, but have a look that makes them perfect for a special dinner.
The recipe uses reduced fat Monterrey Jack cheese, spinach, and cilantro.
These remind me of one of my favorite restaurant offerings – chicken cordon bleu (except they put ham in the chicken for this recipe!).
By making them at home, I can lighten up the calories a bit but still leave loads of flavor.
Monterrey Jack stuffed chicken rolls
These delicious bundles are very easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. The chicken is coated with a seasoned cornmeal and then filled with cheese, spinach and cilantro and pan fried.
They are moist and delicious and very pretty to look at.
More chicken recipes
We have chicken often in our house. If you love it too, try one of these recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts
- Olive Garden Copy Cat Chicken Breasts with Roasted Garlic, Mushrooms and Rosemary
- Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Cream
- Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach, Feta & Pine Nuts
- Garlic Lemon Chicken – Mustard Herb Sauce – Easy 30 Minute Recipe
For more 30 minute meals, check out my Pinterest Board.
- 18 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 8 ounces of reduced fat Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- fresh cilantro to garnish.
- Place the chicken breasts between saran wrap and flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin until the breast is 1/8 inches thick.
- Divide the cilantro and baby spinach evenly over the chicken pieces.
- Add 2 ounces of the cheese to each chicken piece. Fold in the sides and roll the chicken into a bundle.
- Secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Combine the cornmeal, chili powder and salt in a small dish.
- In a separate dish, combine the egg white and water and whisk.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the egg white mixture and then into the cornmeal mixture, making sure the chicken is coated well.
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook about 10 minutes until they are browned well.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking another 10 - 12 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve with salsa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 764mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 56g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.