This Olive Garden copy cat chicken breasts recipe is basically a chicken in white wine sauce, which I make all the time, but the star of this dish is the whole cloves of roasted garlic.
Olive Garden Copy Cat Recipe
I went to the Olive Garden recently and had the most delicious whole garlic and mushroom chicken dish. I decided to try and replicate it and came up with a recipe that tastes quite similar to their entree. The dish is just wonderful with a rich and delicious wine sauce and loads of flavor.
If you have not tried to roast garlic, you don’t know what you are missing. It removes the tartness and zip of the garlic and leaves a soft and sweet clove that is just perfect as an addition to the mushroom sauce.
Add in the fresh rosemary and you end up with a dish that is more French inspired than Italian but delicious as all get out.
You won’t believe how good the roasted garlic is. I ate all my garlic first and wanted more! This dish is lovely served with creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 large head of garlic, with the top cut off
- 1 tsp Olive oil. for drizzling
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- dash freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp diced fresh rosemary plus sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the head of garlic on a layer of foil, with the cut side up. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, then wrap in the foil. Roast the garlic until very soft, about 45 minutes. Let it cool, then peel, and separate the cloves.
- While the garlic is roasting, heat the olive oil in a non stick frying pan and cook the mushrooms until they are starting to get soft, about 5 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Add the diced rosemary and cook over medium high heat until the chicken is lightly browned and well cooked, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and keep warm but leave the mushrooms in the pan.
- Stir in the white wine and chicken stock, and cook gently until the liquid has reduced and the sauce thickens a little - about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the whole cooked garlic cloves and cook gently about 2 minutes more. Return the chicken to the pan and cook gently for a minute or so.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat and add the baby spinach and allow it to just lightly wilt.
- Place the wilted spinach on a serving dish and top with the chicken breasts. Spoon over the mushroom and garlic sauce and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary. Serve with creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 57g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.