This recipe for Easy ;Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian recipe. It is rich and creamy and full of home grown freshness from the eggplants that are ready in my garden.
My garden is producing like mad at the moment, so I had fresh tomatoes coming out of my ears. (the squirrels decided that I had a Shoney’s buffet in my back yard, so I had to rescue all the green ones and let them ripen indoors.)
I also have three eggplant bushes that decided to produce all at once and, thus, this recipe was born.
Instead of frying the eggplant slices, I baked them first. This cut down on the fat and calories. Then I layered them with home made marinara sauce and cheeses and basil.
Making this Easy Eggplant Parmesan
This recipe calls for a home made marinara sauce. You can get the home made marinara recipe here. Bottled sauce will work if you are in a hurry but the flavor of the home made is worth the extra time.
The dish cooks into lovely layers of Italian goodness.
And a serving of this easy eggplant parmesan. It was just plain delicious! I did not miss the fat from frying the eggplant one little bit!
To follow all my recipes, see The Gardening Cook on Pinterest.
- 4 medium egg plants (about 6 inches long each) peeled and thinly sliced.
- 2 free range eggs, beaten. (I use free range. Regular eggs are fine.)
- 1 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 6 cups of home made marinara sauce. (see recipe link above the recipe builder)
- 16 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan Reggiano cheese grated
- 1 1/2 tsp of fresh chopped basil.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel the egg plants and slice them into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Salt them and let them sit for a little. (Do this if your eggplant is older. Mine were picked today, so I skipped this step. Salt helps older eggplants to not be bitter.)
- Dip each slice in the eggs and then into the bread crumbs.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, spread a thin layer of the marinara sauce to cover the bottom.
- Place a layer of the eggplant slices on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Keep repeating these layers. Add a sprinkle of fresh basil on the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes until the cheese melts and everything is a golden brown.
- Let the casserole sit for about 5 minutes and it will slice beautifully.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 1659mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 11gSugar: 20gProtein: 25g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.