Printable Recipe – Roasted Okra
Okra is a Southern staple and there are many ways of cooking it. Stewing and pickling is often seen, but roasted okra is another great way. Roasting the okra brings out the natural flavor but results in a dish that is much less slimy, which is a common complaint with okra.
Another benefit of roasting it is that it is so easy to do. Just season the okra with a variety of Indian styled spices and a bit of olive oil and roast in the oven. What could be easier than that?
The recipe is delicious It combines the smokiness of roasted okra with the wonderful flavor of onion, ginger, cumin, garam marsala and red pepper. Be sure to make plenty. It won’t last long!Be sure to use baby okra. This is the first time I have grown okra and I let them get nice and big. BIG mistake. I might as well have had a tree roasting in my oven. I had to run out and get some baby ones and they roasted just beautifully.
Just season them with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Into the oven at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.
While they are cooking brown the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil and add the spices.
Mix well and add the roasted okra back to the pan and combine well. The flavors really are very delicious.
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- 1 pound okra
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Trim the tops of the okra and cut in half if they are long. Place the okra on a baking sheet in a single layer. Brush with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through. They should be beginning to brown in places but do not let them get burned.
- Just before the okra is almost finished cooking, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and a tbsp of olive oil. Cook until onion begins to soften and then add the, garlic, and cumin and cook for another minute. Add turmeric and garam masala and cook for another minute, adding a tablespoon of water if the spices start to stick. Now, add the roasted okra and salt, stir well, and cook for another minute or two.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 538mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.