I love all types of lasagna recipes. But let’s face it…they are not the most diet friendly recipes every created with all that cheese and those carbs.
Printable Recipe: Cheesy Eggplant Lasagna
This recipe for Eggplant Lasagna uses low fat ricotta and replaces the normal lasagna pasta noodles with baked eggplant slices, for a slightly more healthy option.
Can’t do much about the cheese. I’ve tried low fat cheeses and they don’t melt as well as I would like. (One that is not too bad is Cabot reduced fat cheddar cheese.)
The first step in the recipe is to make sure the eggplant don’t turn out bitter. I peeled and sliced them and then sprinkled them with kosher salt. Then I let them sit for about a half hour.
Next, I combined Italian bread crumbs and 2 beaten eggs. I dipped the eggplant into the eggs and then the breadcrumbs and placed them on a baking sheet. Into a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or so so that they are lightly browned.
I used grass fed ground beef, fresh herbs and free range eggs for my recipe.
While the eggplant were cooking I mixed together low fat ricotta cheese and another egg for the creamy mixture.
Then I sauteed onions, and garlic and browned some grain fed ground beef. I added a can of store bought tomato sauce and let this simmer for a while. (the longer it cooks, the better, the flavor will be.)
You can also use a home made marinara sauce if you have time to prepare it.
Now comes the fun part. Just assemble the lasagna the way you would a normal one, using the eggplant in place of the lasagna pasta noodles.
Alternate the eggplant, with cottage cheese mix, and marinara sauce as well as the cheddar cheese, making sure to leave plenty of cheese for the top. I used two layers of eggplant in my dish.
Pop the casserole into a heated 350 degree F oven and bake for 35 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian Bread crumbs
- 4 medium Eggplants
- Kosher salt
- 15 oz low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- sprigs of fresh thyme, basil, rosemary and oregano (about 2 tbsp when chopped)
- 1 pound ofground beef grass fed is best but (regular is fine)
- 25 oz of marinara sauce
- 12 oz Mexican four cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and slice the eggplant about 1/2 inch thick. Season with kosher salt and leave to sit for about 1/2 hour.
- Combine the ricotta and 1 egg and set it aside.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the beaten egg and then into the bread crumbs. Lay out on a baking sheet.Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the marinara sauce and simmer over a medium low heat while the eggplants brown. (the longer the better for flavor).
- In a large casserole dish, add some of the marinara sauce to the bottom. Layer the eggplants, then the ricotta mixture and then more marinara. Top with a layer of cheese. Repeat. Cook in a 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread and a tossed salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 624mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 11g Protein: 22g