This toasted sesame teriyaki chicken recipe is easy to make and super tasty.
There is no need to head to your favorite Chinese restaurant. Make your favorite dishes at home. It is easier than you might think.
Keep reading to find out how to make this popular Chinese recipe.
This Toasted Sesame Teriyaki Chicken will be the hit of Any Asian dinner party.
The recipe takes a bit of time. The marinade is best made and poured over the chicken a day before you plan to make the dish.
It makes the flavors blend so much better. Then the next day, all of the congealed fat has be be mixed back into the chicken with a dough fork on a stand mixer.
You can just peel off the congealed fat instead, to save on calories, but the dish does seem to taste better when the sesame oil is mixed back in with the marinade.
That really is the hard part. In spite of the large list of ingredients, the dish is fairly simple to make.
Just make the sauce right before you plan to cook and then heat the chicken with the marinade. The sauce will thicken all of the liquids for a smooth and delicious taste.
You can serve it as it is, since the sesame oil will add the great sesame taste to the dish. If you do remove the oil after letting it marinade in the fridge, you can add some toasted sesame seeds to finish.
Serve the toasted sesame teriyaki chicken with some steamed rice, or left over rice patties and sit back and wait for the rave reviews. Better than Chinese take out any day of the week!
- 4 pounds of chicken thigh meat cut into chunks
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup lite Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Sherry
- Cut the chicken into chunks and place in a large container. Mix together the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Be sure to mix the marinade in very well so that all of the chicken pieces are well coated with it. Place the container in the fridge and let it marinate for a few hours (overnight is best for best flavor.)
- Mean while, make the sauce. Combine the chicken stock with the soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and brown sugar. Heat over a medium setting until well combined. Mix together the arrowroot power and cold water being sure there are no lumps. Add this to the marinade and stir until it starts to thicken. Turn the heat to low and keep it warm while you cook the chicken.
- When you take the chicken out of the fridge, the oil will have congealed on the top. You can remove this if you wish and discard it to save on calories, or place the contents, chicken and marinade into a stand mixer with a dough hook. Mix to combine the fat into the chicken again.
- Cook the chicken in a large non stick skillet until it is lightly browned and no longer pink inside. I did it in several groups and it took about 15 minutes.
- Add the marinade and stir to combine well. Continue cooking until the chicken is done and the sauce is thick.
- Serve with boiled rice. You can sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if desired.