This double stuffed chicken recipe uses chicken breasts which are stuffed with mushrooms and both Cheddar and cream cheeses, then drenched with a garlic-lemon-butter sauce.
It will add class to any dinner party and is still easy enough for a busy week night.. It is one of my husband’s favorite chicken recipes.
This easy recipe is ready in just over 30 minutes and is a delight to behold on the plate when you cut into the chicken breast parcels.
I love the combination of lemon and garlic in a recipe. It adds a nice bit of tartness that is offset by the bright citrus flavor.
(For another great recipe with this combination, check out this recipe for garlic lemon chicken with a mustard herb sauce.)
Double Stuffed Chicken with Lemon and Garlic.
This recipe might seem complicated but is actually quite easy to prepare. The chicken breasts are just butterflied to create a pocket in them and then the mushrooms and both slices of cheddar cheese and thin slices from a block of cream cheese get added to the pocket.
Once you have the cavity filled, the parcels are coated with a combination of Romano cheese and bread crumbs.
The sauce is made in just a few minutes by melting the butter and adding some lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic salt and paprika and drizzled over the chicken breasts.
Into the oven for 30 minutes and that is all there is to the recipe.
Tasting the double stuffed chicken breasts
Every bite of these delicious chicken parcels is oozing with melted cheese and the tart taste of lemon. It’s is chock full of flavor and seems as though you spent hours on it.
This is not your everyday chicken dish. It is stuffed with both Cheddar and cream cheeses, and then baked and served with a garlic-lemon-butter sauce. Your family will be begging you to make this recipe again and again.
More recipes to try
If you like the flavor of this recipe, try these tangy ideas:
- Tilapia Piccata with Wine and Capers
- Garlic Lemon Chicken – Mustard Herb Sauce – Easy 30 Minute Recipe
- Lemon Chicken Piccata Recipe – Tangy and Bold Mediterranean Flavor
- Light Seafood Piccata with Pasta
- Pam, for greasing pan
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch slices\
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Lightly spray a large, shallow baking dish with Pam cooking spray.
- Butterfly each breast by slicing in half horizontally through the center, cutting almost but not completely through.
- Place one slice each of Cheddar and cream cheese in the center of each breast piece and place chopped mushrooms between them.
- Close the breasts and set them aside.
- Pour the skim milk into a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, place the breadcrumbs and Romano cheese. On a plate, place the flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully dip each breast first into the milk, then into the flour
- Then dip into the egg whites and finally into the bread crumbs.
- Place breasts side by side in a single layer in the baking dish, tucking edges under to seal.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic, and drizzle evenly over chicken. Season breasts with garlic salt and paprika.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 597Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 906mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.