This recipe for Tilapia piccata is very versatile. Just substitute any white fish such as flounder or sole. The recipe is easy and elegant.
The wine and capers add a lovely piquant sauce to the dish and the sautéed spinach is a nice side dish.
Piccata is an Italian word (sometimes spelled pichotta) which means to be pounded flat. When it is used in reference to preparing food, it means served in a tangy sauce with butter spices and lemon.
Often capers are used as an ingredient. A piccata flavor is tart and goes beautifully with fish.
Making the tilapia piccata
This recipe is really quick and easy to make.
The longest part is just cooking the rice. I used a rice cooker, since it gives me fully perfect rice every time. The fish itself takes less than 10 minutes. Perfect for a busy week night.
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening Cook Recipes on Facebook.
- 24 ounces Tilapia
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup of white wine
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp drained and chopped capers
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1 cup of long grain white rice
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker with 1/4 tsp of the sale and 1/8 tsp of the pepper until it is done. (about 1/2 hour)
- Sprinkle the fish with the remaining salt and pepper. Coat it in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan over a medium high heat. Add fish and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until the fish flakes with a fork.
- Add the wine, lemon juice and zest and capers to the pan. Cook for 1 minute and then add the butter. Stir until the butter melts. Remove the fish and the sauce and keep warm.
- Add the spinach to the pan, saute until it is wilted.
- To serve, put 1/2 cup of rice on each plate, to with about 1/4 of the spinach, 1 fish portion and 1 tbsp of the sauce.
About 330 calories per serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 47g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.