This recipe for Mediterranean lemon chicken piccata combines lemon and capers for a tangy topping. The recipe is quick and easy and perfect for a weeknight meal.
You’d never think it when you see them in a jar, but capers come from a prickly bush called capparis spinosa. It grows wild across parts of Asia and the Mediterranean.
The flavor of capers reminds me of the tang and brininess of green olives but with an extra dose of tartness. Normally, you find them packed in brine.
Capers also add a salty flavor to your recipe. Oddly, they are one of my husbands favorite flavors.
Making this lemon chicken piccata
Let’s put those salty pieces to use in this saucy chicken recipe. It is delicious!
Fresh thyme adds to the Mediterranean flavor of this dish. I have it growing year round at my house.
The recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes – just pan sear the chicken and them combine lemon juice, white wine and capers for the tangy sauce.
Garnish with lemon slices and chopped basil and stand back for the rave reviews.
I like to serve this chicken piccata with lemon sauce over noodles with homemade corn bread to sop up those delicious juices.
Share this tangy chicken piccata recipe on TwitterDo you like the salty taste of capers? Head to The Gardening Cook to try this recipe for lemon chicken piccata. It's tangy and bold with a lovely Mediterranean flavor. Click To Tweet
Pin this recipe for lemon chicken piccata
Would you like a reminder of this Mediterranean chicken piccata recipe? Just pin this image to one of your international recipe boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
More recipes to try
If you like the flavor of this lemon caper chicken recipe, try these tangy ideas:
- Tilapia Piccata with Wine and Capers
- Garlic Lemon Chicken – Mustard Herb Sauce – Easy 30 Minute Recipe
- Double Stuffed Chicken with Lemon and Garlic
- Light Seafood Piccata with Pasta
Admin note: this post for lemon chicken piccata first appeared on the blog in September of 2013. I have updated the post to add new photos, and a printable recipe card.
Lemon Caper Chicken Piccata
Chicken with lemon and capers. The white wine and lemon juice adds a nice tang to this chicken piccata recipe.
- 16 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and cut in half
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour, for coating
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- to garnish: fresh basil, chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken in flour and shake off the excess.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 tablespoons olive oil and the fresh thyme.
- When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the chicken pieces and cook for 3 minutes.
- When chicken is browned on one side, turn it over and cook other side for 3 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to plate.
- Scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan and add the lemon juice, white wine and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil.
- Check the seasoning.
- Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for about 5 more minutes until the chicken is done and the liquid has reduced somewhat.
- Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 1 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices and chopped spring onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.