Printable recipe – Lightened Down Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
This recipe for creamy garlic mashed potatoes is a slimmed down version of the original recipe. Light sour cream and skim milk are the secrets to keeping the fat in check but not losing any of the flavor.
They are just delicious. For an even sweeter taste, try roasting your garlic first. It brings out the natural sweetness of it and is a fabulous addition to the creamy mashed potatoes.
More recipes on The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- 1½ pounds of russet potatoes, cut into quarters
- chicken stock
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup fat-free (skim) milk, heated
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
- fresh chives to garnish
- Place potatoes and garlic in medium saucepan; add enough chicken stock to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cover loosely and boil gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes break apart easily when pierced with fork. Drain well.
- Mash potatoes and garlic until there are no lumps left. Add salt, pepper, milk and sour cream; continue mashing until potatoes are smooth.
- Garnish with chopped fresh chives.