One of my family’s favorite side dishes are twice baked potatoes. But the normal version is full of fat, cream, butter and calories. This healthier version uses a healthy spread and veggie cheese but is still full of flavor.
Slimmed Down Twice Baked Potatoes
The recipe is simple. Just bake your potatoes first, scoop out the flesh and combine it with the other ingredients and put back in the oven to finish. Your family will be asking you to make it again and again.
The recipe has 367 calories for each potato, 10 grams of protein and almost 10 grams of fiber. Makes a huge serving. Serves four if you have 1/2 potato each.
- Potato, raw, 2 large (3" to 4-1/4" dia.)
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Mushrooms, fresh, 4 tbsp, chopped
- Green Peppers (bell peppers), 4 tbsp
- Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, 1.25 tbsp
- Go veggie cheese Monterrey Jack, 0.25 cup (vegans use Daiya Cheese)
- Salt, 2 tsp
- Pepper, black, 1 tsp
- Rinse potatoes and poke with a fork.
- Place on baking sheet and cook in oven for 45 minutes @ 450*.
- Test potatoes to make sure they are soft but not too soft.
- Make a thin slice off the top of the potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the potato flesh into a bowl. .
- Add garlic, mushrooms, green pepper, Earth Balance, and seasonings plus a little of the cheese. Combine well.
- Put the mixture back into the potato skins. Add the remainder of the cheese to the top.
- Heat for about 10 more minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve hot.
This makes a huge side dish if you eat the whole thing. Can be a meal with salad.