It’s almost time for camping season. I thought it would be fun to start the season off with a great recipe for Caribbean grilled snapper with pineapple. It also gives me a chance to show off my new toy – a wonderful fish shaped grill pan from my new sponsor Gourmet Grillware . The company recently offered me this grill pan to test with one of my new camping recipes. I must say, I am impressed with the grill pan. Not only does it make a wonderful presentation for the fish, but it is extremely versatile as well. You can cook on a stove top, over an open fire, or on an outdoor barbeque. It also goes from freezer to oven to tabletop to fridge. The only thing that you cannot do it wash it in the microwave, but it is very easy to clean as long as you remember to lightly oil it before you first use it. This will help to protect the finish. What a wonderful utensil to take on your next camping trip! Be sure to visit Gourmet Grillware to see more details about this great fish griller. You will love it as much as I do!(affiliate link) I promised the company that I would try out a recipe suitable for the campfire. This Caribbean snapper with Grilled pineapple is a perfect choice.
Caribbean Grilled Snapper with Pineapple Recipe
This recipe is very easy to do, which makes it perfect for a camping trip. All you have to do is combine the spices and add some oil and rub it over the fish. (you can even make the rub ahead of time and just rub it on the fish before you plan to grill.) Since the fish griller can be place on an open fire, it’s the perfect cooking utensil for an outdoor occasion. (It can be place on a fire pit too!)
Tonight I am making the fish on the stove top. The Fish Griller heats up beautifully and the fish cooked to perfection. I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on chunks of pineapple and grilled those in the fish griller too. Easy peasy and a perfect side dish. For your camping trip, why not wrap some potatoes or corn in foil and cook them in the coals. Add the fish griller towards the end of the cooking time and you will have a perfect “outdoor home cooked meal!” Imagine the rave reviews that this camping meal would get! And you can serve it right on the fish griller too
- 1 1/2 pounds of fresh snapper with skin
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chile powder, (optional)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 4 Thick slices of pineapple
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon Sugar
- Mix the ginger, garlic, chili powder, thyme and allspice together.
- Transfer the paste to a small bowl and mix in the oil. Make 3 - 3-inch-long slashes on the snapper about 3/4" deep.
- Lightly season the fish with the Kosher salt and rub it with the paste, being sure to get the spices into the slashes. Rub the fish all over with olive oil.
- Coat a large grill pan (or outdoor grill) with some olive oil. Set the fish on the grill pan and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the flesh just flakes with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the fish is done, sprinkle the pineapple with cinnamon sugar and add to the grill pan. Turn to heat on both sides.
- Serve with a baked potato (cooked in the coals wrapped in aluminum foil)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 89mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 32g Protein: 31g
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Please note that I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."