I love chicken. Plain and simple. I could eat it every day and not get tired of it.
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare my favorite, especially when it comes to one that I plan to roast. (I also love roast nights!)
This recipe for Herbed Mediterranean chicken is my latest new find. It uses the flavors of olive oil, lemon juice and wine as well as some of the fresh herbs growing on my deck to marinate for a few hours before I pop it in the oven.
I used garlic and fresh rosemary and oregano as well as aea salt and cracked black pepper as my flavorings for my marinade.
And look what will go with the chicken! Fresh from my garden today….
The end result is a moist and tender bird full of flavor with herbs often found in Mediterranean cooking: oregano, and fresh rosemary. And the garlic doesn’t hurt. Just sayin’.
Be sure to use a good quality cooking wine in the marinade. It makes all the difference…and besides…you will need some to serve with the delicious chicken anyway!
- 3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup of a good quality drinking wine - I used a Chablis blanc
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of Sea Salt
- 2 tsp of freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 3 pounds of chicken
- For the marinade: Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, wine, olive oil, garlic, oregano, rosemary and salt and pepper..
- Place the chicken in a large casserole dish and pour over the marinade. Place in the fridge for a few hours. (the longer the better, even up to a day before is great.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 º Discard most of the marinade. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350º and continue cooking until done. I cook it for 20 minutes per pound and an extra 20 minutes total cooking time. Mine took a couple of hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 798mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 33g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.