The Bantam weight chicken salad is a copycat recipe from one of my daughter’s and my favorite cafes. It is very tasty with grilled chicken and veggies on fresh greens with most of the veggies from my garden.
Add some home made croutons and you have a very satisfying meal.
Keep reading to find out how to make this healthy recipe.
Bantam weight chicken salad
My daughter is moving to LA soon. Quite honestly, it’s bittersweet for me. I will miss her terribly, but I am also very excited for her to start her life by herself.
For the last few months, she and I have had “date days” each Monday to make sure we get the most out of our last summer together.
We go out for lunch, almost always to Lilly’s Pizza in Raleigh, and then we go to Whole Foods, to get things for a special dinner and have a reality TV night watching the Bachelorette.
Her dad is “along for the ride” too, even though that is by no means his favorite show.
Lilly’s makes great pizzas, salads and pastas. Each time I have something there, I try to reconstruct it. I usually get it fairly close but not exact. lThis recipe for bantam weight chicken salad is a pretty close approximation though.
Store bought rotisserie chickens work just fine for this recipe. You can even use the rotisserie chicken container in some gardening ways later.
Check out my rotisserie chicken mini terrarium for a few ideas.
This is one of my favorite dishes. It is perfect for Vegans, but I made it for my husband who eats meat and he loves it too.
I know one thing – My daughter has moved to California, and how miss these date days! Can’t wait for her to return to Raleigh, so we can go to Lilly’s again!
- 1 cup of baby mixed greens
- 1/2 cup of freshly grilled chicken, sliced (can use rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 cup of sliced mushrooms (I like portabellos but any will do)
- 1/2 of a fresh garden tomato, sliced
- 2 baby carrots, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup of sliced yellow onions
- 1/8 cup of honey roasted pecans
- 1/8 cup of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tbsp Honey Mustard dressing.
- Optional: home made croutons (slices of Olive Garden style bread sticks make great home made croutons.)
- Arrange the baby greens on a serving plate.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and onions. Place the chicken strips over the top.
- Arrange the tomato slices on one side of the plate and the carrot stick on the other. Add the pecans in a pile on one side too.
- Top with the Monterey Jack Cheese and serve with honey mustard dressing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 6gSugar: 45gProtein: 43g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.