This strawberry shortcake is one that my mother made each summer when the fresh strawberries started appearing in the supermarkets. It is our family’s most favorite summer time dessert and is lovingly called “Grammy’s Shortcake” by all her grandchildren.
Nostalgic Strawberry Shortcake Recipe.
The recipe could not be easier to make, but don’t let that fool you. It is rich, delicious and very flavorful. The sugar makes the berries make their own syrup. You can whip your own topping from fresh cream or just use the prepackaged or aerosol cans. All are good. To make the shortcake, I use Bisquick Heart Smart Baking mix. (affiliate link)
You can make this dessert one of two ways. Either make individual biscuit sized shortcakes and slice them in half and layer, or do it “Grammy Style” and make a four layer delight that is great for gatherings. Either way, the taste is delicious and the look is fabulous.
For more dessert recipes, please visit my Facebook page: The Gardening Cook.
How do you make a strawberry shortcake? Is this one of your favorite summertime desserts too? Please leave your comments below.
What fun would this shortcake be to serve on this strawberry themed table in the summer time. Image shared from Flickr.
- 1 pint of fresh Strawberries
- 1/2 c cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of Bisquick baking mix (I use Heart Smart)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup of Skim milk
- To top, sliced strawberries, a piece of fresh mint, and whip cream.
- Slice the strawberries and combine them with 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or longer. (the sugar makes the strawberries produce their own syrup and they get better the longer you let them sit. Just stir them every so often.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the Bisquick mix, 2 tbsp sugar, vanilla, and 2 tbsp of butter until a soft dough forms. Using your hands make two large balls. Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet and flatten them so they look a bit like a pizza. Cook in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let cool slightly and then, using a bread knife, slice each shortcake in half through the center. Layer the slices with spoonfuls of the strawberries and syrup. You will end up with one tall cake with four layers of shortcake and strawberries.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream topping, a sprig of mint and a sliced strawberry to garnish.
- Can be adapted for vegan diets by using Silk light vanilla soy milk and Earth Balance Buttery Spread in place of the skim milk and butter.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."