Years ago, I went out for lunch with some teaching friends of mine. One of the items on the menu was a taco salad. Believe it or not, I had never heard of this delightful concoction. Ever since then, when I eat Mexican, I often choose this as my order.
I love the taste of the hearty taco salad with fresh veggies, olives and a big helping of avocado and the delicious edible bowl is a great ending to the dish.
The other day, when I was getting groceries, I noticed that Rio Rancho actually makes edible tostado bowls. Into my cart they went. They are basically just a big ole taco shell. I’m sure you could make them with a big bowl and a soft taco and oven, but these just need reheating so I chose them.
The ingredients can be anything that you like. I used ground beef, chopped green onions (still a few in my garden), tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, diced peppers, cheese, sour cream, olives and some vegetarian chili for the base of the salad.
Serve it immediately so the whole thing stays warm and add a couple of margaritas to round out the whole Mexican flavor!
- 4 Rio Rancho Tostada Bowls
- 1 cup Mixed salad greens Greens
- 1 lb. lean Ground Beef
- 4 tablespoons of Taco Seasoning
- 1 small Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 14 oz vegetarian chili
- 12 Olives, sliced
- 4 spring onions
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of diced peppers (I used all colors)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons Sour cream and salsa to garnish
- Cook the ground beef, garlic and onion in skillet over med-high heat. Add the taco seasoning (and water if you use a premade mix).
- Mix in the chili and combine everything until sauce is a little thick.
- Warm the tostada bowls in a preheated 350ºF oven for 2 minutes. Place the bowls on serving dishes and place a good helping of mixed greens in each bowl. Top with ground beef mixture, then the diced tomatoes, peppers, spring onions and avocado.
- Sprinkle the bowls evenly with shredded cheese.
- Top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and salsa and sprinkle cheese on top. Add the sliced olives and enjoy with your favorite Margarita recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 838 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 2.5g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 137mg Sodium: 1638mg Carbohydrates: 70g Fiber: 14g Sugar: 10g Protein: 48g