One of my favorite cocktail recipes is a Classic tequila margarita. It is one that I choose just about every time that I go out.
One would think it would be the same from restaurant to restaurant but this is definitely not the case. I once got one in a Chinese restaurant in Australia and they used a sweet lime aid to flavor it.
I didn’t even drink it. It was horrible. Making the drink with store bought mixes also gives you so so results.
Making a Classic Tequila Margarita
Margaritas are easy to make but if you mess with the traditional ingredients the flavor will just not be right.
People think that a margarita is really just about the tequila. That is the main ingredient for sure, but not the only one.
A good margarita has just four ingredients – tequila, triple sec, lime juice and salt. That’s it.
Good quality tequila is a must and triple sec is a second must. (not the mixers so popular to make a quick drink). A top shelf tequila such as Patron makes a wonderful margarita.
Margaritas are the drink of choice in many Mexican restaurants, and are very popular for Cinco de Mayo.
More drinks and cocktails to try:
- Malibu Rum Punch – Paradise Punch Cocktail with Earl Grey Tea
- Tequila Pineapple Cocktail with Basil – Veracruzana – Fruity Summer Drink
- Moscow Mule Cocktail – Spicy Kick with a Citrus Finish
- Caribbean Coconut Rum and Pineapple Cocktail.
- Grapefruit Cranberry Sea Breeze Cocktail – Cocktails with Vodka
- Floridora – Refreshing Raspberry and Lime Cocktail
- Tom Collins Drink – Refreshing Summer Highball Cocktail Recipe
- 4th of July Cosmopolitan – a Patriotic cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounce tequila
- 1/2 ounce triple sec (Cointreau is my recommendation for best flavor)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- Lime wedge to garnish
- Salt to rim the glass
- Pour the tequila, lime juice and triple sec into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well.
- Salt the rim of a chilled margarita glass by rubbing it first with a wedge of lime and then turning it upside down into a plate of salt.
- Pour contents, with ice, into the glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 101517mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.