This savory roast chicken recipe is one that my family loves. It is full of flavor and very easy to prepare.
I love roasting chicken or any other type of protein. The end result is a meal that seems like you spent hours making it, – which you may have done but the oven does all the work.
The actual prep time is very low.
Treat Your Family to My Savory Roast Chicken
One thing that I especially like about roast chicken is that you can roast vegetables at the same time. And, for me, there is nothing like the sweetness of roast veggies, particularly carrots and onions.
Once you have roasted them, you will never boil or microwave again!
This savory roast chicken does not need much in the way of seasoning. I use coconut oil, to help the outside brown well, and add a nice flavor.
The seasoning is just a bunch of thyme, a head of garlic, a lemon, and some Mediterranean salt and cracked black pepper. It all just goes in the cavity of the bird. How easy is that?
I normally cook a chicken about 20 minutes per pound plus an additional 20 minutes, but a handy meat thermometer will tell you when it is done.
A meat thermometer makes sure that your chicken will be perfectly cooked. Just insert it into the meatiest part of the bird, (being careful not to touch the bone) and it’s done when the thermometer reads 175º F.
Mine needed to go back into the oven for some more cooking.
But don’t let the simplicity of the recipe fool you. This savory roast chicken is full of flavor, and all that will be left when the meal is done is some picked over bones! The garlic and lemon added so much flavor to the roast.
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) roasting chicken
- Mediterranean sea salt
- Freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme (reserve about 6 sprigs for the vegetables)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 small head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut into chunks
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out, and pat the outside dry. Season the inside of the chicken with Mediterranean sea salt and cracked black pepper. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, the lemon, and the cut garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the coconut oil, and season again with the salt and pepper.
- Place the onions and slicked carrots in the roasting pan. Season with salt, pepper, 6 sprigs of thyme, and a bit of olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken in the pan.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. I use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 175 º. Place the thermometer in the meatiest part of the bird, being sure not to touch the bone.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 15 minutes to let it rest. Carve the chicken and serve it with the vegetables.