These banana chocolate cupcakes give us the sweet treat we are looking for without a lot of calories.
My husband and I are both trying to lose weight right now, but we also have a sweet tooth that we don’t want to deny.
The secret to the slightly lower calories in these cupcakes is using mashed bananas instead of extra oil that normal cupcakes have.
This adds a moisture and fiber to the cupcakes. It also adds a flavor to the cupcakes that is hard to describe but very nice.
These Banana Chocolate Cupcakes Won’t Break the Calorie Bank.
The cupcakes could not be easier to make. Just mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet in another and then combine them in a stand mixer bowl.
The mixture is a little bit runny, so I used a 1/4 cup scoop to fill my cupcake liners.
When the cupcakes are finished, I just let them sit for about 15 minutes, and then I was able to peel the silicone liner off to leave the cupcakes.
Best of all, my husband loved these little treats and it did not wreck our diets! The texture is really nice and the cupcakes are very tasty.
I love the fruity overtones that the bananas add to them.
For another slimmed down dessert, try these low calorie brownies. Their secret is using diet soda instead of oil to save calories!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 large egg (I use free range eggs)
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 º F Prepare your muffin cups with paper liners, or do as I do and use silicone baking cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients for the cupcakes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, skim milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix slightly, until combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups until they are about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Frost with the chocolate icing.
- I got 15 cupcakes out of my recipe but I filled the cupcake liners quite full. If you make 24 of them, there are only about 90 calories in each.
- (Mine were about 135 calories for the cupcake. The frosting add more calories of course but they are nice even unfrosted.)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.