It’s pizza night! Don’t reach for a bottle jar of pizza sauce. It’s super easy to make your own homemade pizza sauce in minutes.
Printable Recipe – Homemade Pizza Sauce
I grew tired of most take away pizzas years ago and I finally discovered I just don’t care for the taste of commercial pizza sauce. I experimented a bit and came up with this homemade pizza sauce that makes me crave pizzas again – but only the ones I now make from scratch.
The recipe is very easy. I normally use roasted tomatoes for the sauce, since they are just plain delicious, but I did not have any in the fridge so I opted for Del Monte Stewed canned tomatoes this time.
These are the ingredients.
Dice the fresh herbs and garlic.
Everything just gets mixed into a saucepan and allowed to cook for about 15 minutes over a medium heat. The sauce will thicken a bit as it cooks down.
Next step it to use an immersion blender (food processor or normal blender will do.) You will want the sauce to have the consistency of almost ketchup or the pizza will be too soggy. If it is too thin, add more tomato paste and allow it to thicken some more.
That’s it. Easy and Delicious!
- 1 3/4 cups stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon . chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon . chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of white wine - I used Chardonnay. (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until it begins to bubble. Reduce the heat, and let the mixture simmer for another 15 minutes. It will thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in an immersion blender and blend slightly. It should be fairly thick so that the pizza will not be soggy when cooked. If too thin, add a bit more tomato paste and cook a bit longer.
- Use on your favorite pizza base for the best pizza ever!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.