I love marinara sauces. I recently made one using roasted fresh tomatoes with white wine and it was just delicious. You can find that recipe here. It is one of the most popular recipes on my website and gets hundreds of views every day.
Today’s recipe is a modification of the basic sauce. It is a homemade mushroom marinara sauce.
Printable Recipe: Mushroom Marinara Sauce
For this marinara sauce recipe, I did the same thing as before. I started with freshly roasted tomatoes. If you have not made sauces with roasted tomatoes, you are in for a treat! They make the most delicious sauce imaginable. See how to roast tomatoes in this article.
Any good quality red wine will do. I used an Argentinian Malbec today. I wanted a red wine because reds go so well with mushrooms in a recipe.
The wine is added to the mushrooms and onions and then simmered for a bit to release the flavor or the wine to the sauce.
Simmer for about an hour or longer. The flavor improves with cooking time. So tasty and ready to add to any recipes you choose. Today, I used the sauce for an Italian Sausage and Peppers dish with noodles. It was delish!
- 9 plum tomatoes, skins removed and roasted (see how to roast tomatoes here: http://thegardeningcook.com/how-to-roast-fresh-tomatoes/)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 pound of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of red wine (I used an Argentinian Malbec)
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh herbs (I used thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil and parsley)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a medium high heat and cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the red wine and fresh herbs and simmer to release the flavor of the wine for about 5 minutes.
- Crush the roasted tomatoes and add to the mushroom and onion mixture and cook over a medium low heat for at least an hour. (the longer the better)
- Use as a base for your favorite Italian recipe.
Amount Per Serving Calories 165 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 34mg Sodium 25mg Carbohydrates 10g Fiber 3g Sugar 5g Protein 11g