This Focaccia chicken sandwich reminds me a little bit of Italy. It combines fresh Mozzarella cheese with roasted red peppers and avocado and a creamy basil pesto. Avocado and tomato slices add more nutritious goodness to the sandwich.
Serve with a side of sweet potato fries and a fresh dill pickle and you will think you are having lunch at your favorite trendy restaurant.
Printable Recipe: Focaccia Chicken Sandwich
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook
- 1 onion Focaccia (Italian flatbread) 8-10 inch
- 4 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp of pesto
- 2 Tablespoons shredded fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast (precooked and preferably one that has been marinated.)
- 3 1/2 ounces roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz of Mozzarella cheese
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1 beef steak tomato sliced
- Cut the focaccia bread in half horizontally
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, pesto. and fresh basil and set aside.
- Spread cut sides of bread halves with the mayonnaise mixture
- Layer the avocado, roasted chicken, roasted sweet peppers and Mozzarella cheese between bread halves. Add the lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
- Cut into quarters. Serve with sweet potato fries and dill pickles. Makes 4 servings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 27g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.