One of my favorite meal choices when we go to our favorite Mexican restaurant is Chori Pollo. The delicious dish has layers of cooked chicken with chorizo sausage and caramelized onions, all topped with cheese for one tasty meal. This is the prefect dish to serve for Cinco de Mayo!
Chorizo is a Spanish pork sausage that is normally cured with smoked paprika. It comes in both sweet and hot versions and can be eaten as a sliced meat or cooked into main dishes such as chori pollo..You can buy chorizo precooked, or as links. I’ll be using the links and removing the casings for this recipe.
Cooking with chorizo adds a great amount of flavor to a dish. Cooked chicken with caramelized onions is good. Add in a layer of crumbled chorizo and you take the dish to a whole new layer.
Store bought rotisserie chickens work just fine for this recipe. You can even use the rotisserie chicken container in some gardening ways later. Check out my rotisserie chicken mini terrarium for a few ideas.
How to make Mexican Chori Pollo
I chose the sweet chorizo for this recipe. I’m not fond of overly spicy Mexican food, and this recipe has just the right touch of spice and savory to suit me.
The chopped onions are caramelized and add loads of sweetness to the dish which balances well with the heat of the sausage meat.
This dish comes together with each step adding layers of flavor. If you are in a hurry, you can even use a rotisserie chicken and just cook the sausage meat to save time. Either chicken thighs or boneless breasts work well, but using chicken thighs gives you a richer dish when you are done.
Place the chicken on a plate, layer over the tomatoes and onions, top with the chorizo and sprinkle with some cheese and other Mexican toppings to garnish and you are done.
I like serving this with Mexican rice. It makes me feel as though I am at my favorite restaurant. For a low carb and gluten free version, be sure to also check out this Mexican chori pollo recipe.
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- 16 ounces chicken breasts, boneless skinless (can also use thighs)
- 8 chorizo sausages, sweet, with casings removed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup of roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 c. dry sherry
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup of Cheddar cheese to garnish.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil in a non stick frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic and roasted tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes until the onions are translucent and start to caramelize. Add the sherry and spices and continue cooking until the liquid has reduced almost completely. Remove and keep warm.
- Remove the casings from the sausage and add the sausage meat in crumbles to the same pan. Cook through and remove and keep warm.
- In the same frying pan, add the remaining 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and cook the chicken pieces on both sides until lightly browned - about 5 minutes for each side.
- Move to a serving dish and arrange the chicken slices. Add the chicken breasts. Place the chorizo sausage crumbles on top and garnish with the onion and tomato relish. Add the cheddar cheese to the top.
- Serve with re fried beans and Mexican rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 578Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 1606mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 54g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.