Printable Recipe: Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Herb Dumplings
This recipe for slow cooker beef stew with herbed dumplings is tasty and easy to do. Just add everything to the crock pot in the morning and then make the dumplings when you come home from work. Crock pot recipes are the best for easy cooking.
The dumplings make a perfect accompaniment to this delicious beef stew recipe. The flavors are wonderful, thanks to the thyme, mustard, wine and the the fresh herbs in the both the stew and the dumplings.
Combine the ingredients for the beef stew in the crock pot. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
Stir the beef stock and flour together and add to the stew so that it will thicken.
Meanwhile, make the dumplings and add to the top of the stew. Turn to high and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 2 lbs lean stew beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 large potatoes, diced into chunks
- 4 carrots cut into ½ inch slices on the diagonal
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 8 sliced mushrooms
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- To thicken: ¼ cup beef stock
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 ½ cups Bisquick
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Combine the beef, celery, garlic, potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine .
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.
- The vegetables and beef will become tender.
- Combine the flour and beef stock, and stir this slowly into the beef stew.
- Mix together the Bisquick, thyme, sage and rosemary and stir in the milk until the mixture is just moistened.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough on to the hot beef stew, then cover and cook on high for and additional 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the herb dumplings comes out clean.