This toasted sesame chicken recipe has a sweet and tangy sauce with a hint of spice.
The spice in the dish comes from the sriracha, a combination of red chili, garlic, vinegar and salt. You can get this sauce at Asian markets or online from my affiliate Amazon.com. (affiliate link.) The sugar, vinegar and tomato puree gives the dish a hint of sweetness.
I don’t like things too spicy so I only added 1 tsp of the sriracha. My husband, who adores spicy foods raved about the flavor and I found it not too spicy and very nice. I used the marinade from the chicken to make the sauce. (this is fine to do as long as the marinade has been in the fridge and it is then boiled later)
We had this tonight with freshly made herb bread and Brussels sprouts, but it would be lovely over any pasta too.
- 1/4 cup Lite Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely grated
- 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot combined with 2 tbsp water
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sriracha and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Add the sesame oil, ginger, vinegar, tomato puree, garlic, scallion and stir until well combined.
- Place chicken in a large baking dish and pour the marinade on top, making sure to coat the pieces evenly throughout. Marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge (the longer, the better.)
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade.
- Add the oil to a non stick frying pan and cook the chicken on both sides until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Remove and keep warm.
- Place the marinade in the frying pan and bring it to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes so that the marinade is well cooked. Add the arrowroot/water mixture and stir well until thickened.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat well. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 129mg Sodium: 1334mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Protein: 49g
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."