This recipe for a ham and vegetable casserole is delicious, easy to make and takes the left over ham to a brand new dimension. My family loved it!
Printable Recipe: Casserole with Vegetables and Left over Ham
Looking for a great tasting casserole to use up some left over ham? I recently made a delicious honey ham, but only used a small amount of it. I can use some for breakfast and sandwiches but that would get old quickly.
Start by preheating the oven to 375º F. Cut your vegetables into similar sized pieces.
In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a
boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
Add in the reserved vegetables and stir to combine well. Transfer these ingredients to a greased 1 1/2 quart oven proof baking dish.
In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter; stir in flour until you get a
Gradually add the milk,Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce the heat; stir in the cheese, mix well and cook until melted.
Pour the sauce over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with the Italian bread crumbs. Bake,
uncovered, in the preheated 375° oven for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
The dish is so tasty and the bread crumbs add a bit of extra texture to the smooth and silky cheese sauce. Your family with love it!
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed peeled
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups ham, cubed and fully cooked
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- (4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a
- boil. Reduce heat; then cover and cook about for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Drain.and set aside
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3
- tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer
- to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until
- smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add
- cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Amount Per Serving Calories 291 Total Fat 13g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 59mg Sodium 1011mg Carbohydrates 27g Fiber 2g Sugar 2g Protein 17g