Beef Stroganoff has proven itself again and again to be a classic, well loved and tasty dish. This recipe uses ground beef instead of sirloin strips for a less expensive version. But don’t let that fool you. The taste is all there!
This recipe is as easy to make as one of your packaged hamburger helper meals, but you end up with tons more flavor and none of the chemicals. And the addition of sherry gives the recipe a slightly sweet taste that marries very well with the other ingredients.
Looking for a meal that is ready in less than 20 minutes? This one is perfect. Just boil your pasta, brown the beef, mushrooms and onions and make the sauce.
There are a couple of rules to make sure that your ground beef stroganoff ends up being delicious. First, be sure to use ground chuck. Although tough as a normal cut of meat, chuck is full of flavor and gets very tender when ground. Second, be sure to brown the beef well. Don’t be too handy with the spoon during this part of the cooking. Let it brown and then stir. Your taste buds will thank you for your patience.
Don’t you love the look of these luscious mushrooms, combined with the crumbled ground beef? It tastes just as good as it looks, too!
Serve with a tossed salad and some garlic bread for a tasty and easy week night meal that you family will request again and again.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Pam Cooking spray
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 3 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh parsley sprigs to garnish (optional)
- Cook the noodles in boiling salted water, according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray the pan with Pam cooking spray. Add the ground beef to the pan; cook until well browned - do not stir much during this part of the cooking. Let it brown well..
- Remove beef from pan, place in a large bowl, and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and onion to the same pan; sauté 4 minutes.
- Combine the mushroom mixture with the reserved ground beef.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the beef broth, stirring the whole time. Cook for about 1 minute or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, being sure to stir often.
- Return the mushroom and beef mixture to the pan. Add the dry sherry, nutmeg, paprika, salt, and pepper; bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool slightly and stir in the sour cream.
- Combine noodles with the minced parsley. Serve the mushroom and beef mixture over noodles. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 45g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.