Pear preserves, ginger, cinnamon, and cumin give this slow cooked chicken dinner a savory and sweet Moroccan flavor. Normally, Chicken Tagine uses dried apricots but I did not have any on hand right now. I did, however, have a jar of home made pear preserves and substituted them.
The dish came out with the traditional Moroccan flavor and the apricots were not missed at all. I am proud to add this delicious meal to my collection of crock pot recipes.
There is s good reason why this Moroccan dish is a classic. It has so much going on. The aroma is so fragrant and the mix of spices work perfectly with the carrots, onions and homemade pear preserves. It all just totally works.
This is not a 2 or 3 ingredient recipe, but you probably still have most of the ingredients on hand (except for the dried apricots. I don’t use them often!)
The spices are a wonderful mix of cinnamon, cumin, ginger, garlic salt, and cracked black pepper. Just looking at them makes me think of the wonderful flavors to come!
I served this with crusty sour dough bread and Couscous. Great tasting and full of flavor and I did not spend hours on it. My crock pot did!
- 2 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of pear preserves (you can also use the same amount of dried apricots if you have them)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 cups of cooked couscous
- cilantro or parsley to garnish
- 1 cup of sour cream to garnish
- Place the chicken, carrots, onions, raisins and pear preserves (or apricots) in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the broth, flour, tomato paste, lemon juice, and spices. Whisk well and pour over the mixture in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Serve the chicken tagine over the cooked couscous. Add a dollop of sour cream and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 577mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 35g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.