These sweet treats are a variation on the normal kiss cookie that is so often seen this time of the year. These candy cane peppermint kiss cookies are lighter than the traditional kiss cookie but super festive. Perfect for a cookie swap or to take to your child’s school party.
I love making cookies this time of the year for cookie swaps. Another great Christmas cookie recipe is the one for lemon snowball cookies. They bring out the holiday spirit just like these peppermint kiss cookies do.
If you are a fan of peppermint desserts, be sure to also check out my Rice Krispie Peppermint ball cookies. They are also perfect for Christmas.
Candy Cane Peppermint Kiss Cookies for Your Cookie Swap.
For this recipe, Instead of using the normal chocolate Hershey’s kisses, the cookies are made with their candy cane striped kisses. It gives the cookie a completely different taste and they are so festive.If you have made the traditional kiss cookies, you will know how fast they disappear from your cookie jar. Be sure to make extra of these. Your friends and family will love these and want to make they their new Christmas tradition!
The cookies are light and flaky and the candy cane kiss adds a fresh taste and smell to the delicious cookie. The dough has chopped up kisses in it which adds a delightful taste to the cookie. They are easy to make too. The hardest part is not eating the candy cane kisses after you unwrap them!
*Note: Be sure to put the cookies in the freezer immediately after adding the kisses to them. If you don’t, the heat of the cookie will melt the kiss and you won’t have the same delightful looking cookie with the little kiss point in the middle.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to also check out my gingerbread house tips. It shows how to use candy canes in the design as well as many other suggestions for the perfect gingerbread house.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (I use free range eggs)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Candy Cane flavored Hershey’s Kisses
- granulated sugar
- additional, unwrapped Candy Cane Kisses- about 36
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Before you start, be sure there is some space in your freezer that will fit the cookie sheet.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, extracts, and egg. Beat at medium speed, being sure to scrape the bowl often until the mixture becomes creamy (about 2-3 minutes).
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add this to your wet ingredients and mix until well blended (1-2 minutes). The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Stir in the chopped candy cane kisses.
- Butter your hands and shape the dough into 1 inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place the balls 1-inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- Immediately after they come out of the oven, press a Candy Cane Kiss in the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookie sheet (with the cookies) immediately into the freezer so that the Kisses will set and keep their shape.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week. They will also keep well in the freezer.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."