My husband’s favorite meals is roast beef. I normally serve a variation on an Emeril Lagasse London Broil recipe but that has become old hat now. I’ve cooked beef so many different ways and he loves them all but it was time for something new this week. For whatever reason, Thursday has become our roast dinner night and I needed to find something new to please his palate.
Printable Recipe – Roast Beef with Mustard and Fresh Thyme
He also loves mustard sauces, so I decided to try and combine the two flavors to see how it would turn out. It was a huge success!
To make the dish you will need a good piece of beef. I had a tied top round from Whole foods that was grass fed beef for this meal. You’ll also need a handful of fresh thyme, some Gray Poupon coarse seeded mustard, Dijon mustard, butter, kosher salt and cracked black pepper as well as olive oil.
Brush the beef with olive oil. Sear in a skillet over medium high heat for about 4 minutes on each side. Brush the seared beef with the mustard mix and put into a preheated 350 degree F oven.Cook the mustard coated beef for about 1 1/2 hours. I normally do 30 minutes per pound for medium well done. If you like it more rare, 20 minutes a pound works well. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to finish cooking.
Serve with your choice of roasted fresh vegetables. Enjoy!
- 3 pound top round beef
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp Gray Poupon coarse seeded mustard,
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard,
- 2 tbsp butter
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper tp taste
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Combine the butter and dijon mustard in one bowl and the other ingredients and poupon mustard in the other.
- Mix them well into one sauce. Spread over the roast beef and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sear t;he beef over medium high heat for about 4 minutes each side.
- Place in a preheated 350 º oven for 1 1/2 hours. (I cooked mine 30 minutes a pound.)
- Remove and let the roast rest for 10 minutes. Carve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 42g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.