I love yellow fin tuna. It is also known as Ahi Tuna and can be prepared in so many ways. Today’s recipe for yellow fin tuna with pineapple salsa is easy to make and the pineapple adds a great freshness to the recipe.
Add a touch of freshness to dinner with this Yellow Fin Tuna with Pineapple Salsa.
The salsa is super easy to make. It is so quick that you can even make it while the tuna is cooking, but tastes even better if you prepare it a little ahead of time to allow the flavors in the salsa to combine well.
I recently tried a Briefton’s Mini Food chopper and it’s perfect for this type of recipe. Just place your veggies in the bowl, add the cover and give it a couple of pulls to chop the veggies in a flash.
The olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and vinegar combine with the veggies to give them a wonderfully tart finish. Perfect on the fish!
I like to cook my tuna fairly rare. It is one fish that you can do this way that does not taste “fishy,” which is a pet peeve of me.
The tuna can be grilled outside on the BBQ or done indoors, as I did, on a grill pan with raised metal ridges to give it the look of the outdoor grill marks. (affiliate link)
Serve with a baked potato or side salad for an easy and delicious week night meal. It is on the table in just a few minutes.
Aren’t the colors of this yellow fin tuna with pineapple salsa great? What could be more perfect for a warm summer evening?
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices (canned also works fine)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Essence
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Dice the pineapple slices (discard the tough core portions) and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the white onion, bell pepper, vinegar, lime juice, cilantro and minced garlic. Drizzle with 3 tbsp of the olive oil and stir well to combine.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the Kosher salt and set aside as you prepare the tuna.
- Set a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the tuna steaks with remaining salt and Emeril's Essence and brush with the 2 remaining tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Place steaks on a grill pan, turning after 2 minutes. Repeat on the other side for an additional 2 minutes or until medium-rare.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Serve with the Pineapple Salsa.
Serving Size:1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.