Stuffed peppers normally have lots of rice and cheese in the recipe. Since I am trying to have really clean recipes lately, these turkey stuffed peppers are a healthier way to enjoy this traditional dish.
My husband loves to “find bargains” for me when we grocery shop. The other day he came upon a basket of orange peppers that were on sale for 3 for $1. Into my cart them went and I knew that stuffed peppers would be on the menu this week!
These turkey stuffed peppers are clean eating at its best. They are Paleo, Whole30 compliant and Gluten Free, too! There is no rice or other carby fillings. Drained chopped peppers and wilted spinach combine with the ground turkey to make a flavorful filling. The flavor was really helped out with a big bunch of fresh parsley, basil and oregano that I have growing on my deck.
Let’s make some turkey stuffed peppers!
This recipe is really easy to make. Basically you do a stir fry and then spoon everything into the cleaned peppers and bake them.
Start by removing the tops of the peppers and cleaning out the seeds and membranes. All ready to stuff!
Add olive oil to a non stick frying pan and brown the ground turkey, then cook the extra peppers, fresh herbs, spinach and garlic with salt and pepper until the veggies are soft and the spinach is wilted.
Spoon everything into the cleaned peppers and into the oven they go for about 25 minutes.
Time for dinner!
I thought I would miss the cheese that normally comes on the top of stuffed peppers but the filling was so flavorful, I didn’t mind it at all. They are light, tasty and filling, in spite of the fact that there is no rice in the mixture.
My husband loved them, which is high praise since he is a carb and cheese fanatic. Looks like his supermarket bargain was a big hit!
If you love ground turkey recipes, check out my ground turkey slow cooker chili. Super tasty!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 3 large peppers
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 3 small peppers (I used tri color peppers to give the dish lots of color) chopped
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- 2 tbsp each of fresh parsley, basil and oregano
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 º F. Clean the peppers and save the tops of the large ones.
- Add the olive oil to a non stick pan and cook the ground turkey until it is no longer pink.
- Add the chopped small peppers, and garlic and cook until the peppers are tender. Stir in the spinach and fresh herbs and cook until it wilts.
- Stir in the drained tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers, and add the tops.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380.8 Total Fat: 19.4g Saturated Fat: 4.4g Unsaturated Fat: 12.8g Cholesterol: 112.2mg Sodium: 789.9mg Carbohydrates: 16.3g Fiber: 5.0g Sugar: 9.7g Protein: 33.8g