This vegan tropical salad combines a mix of fresh greens, and veggies with pineapple and a tangy cilantro lime vinaigrette.
Since I am following a vegan diet, I used Gardein chicken strips, but normal chicken breasts would work just fine if you are a meat eater.
These chicken strips are very tasty and come in several great tasting flavors. I also used them recently in a Thai peanut stir fry and my family loved them.
Combine them with salad greens and you have the perfect lunch for meatless Monday.
My vegetable garden is growing well right now, so choosing the veggies was easy. I used fresh greens and topped them with these ingredients.
I also added avocado for some extra healthy fats and pineapple for its freshness.
Dressing for the vegan tropical salad
I topped the salad with a home made dressing that is super easy to make. It takes just minutes to prepare.
The dressing is made from lime juice, crushed garlic, cumin, chili powder and fresh parsley. It is tangy and a bit spicy and compliments the salad well.
Using pineapple in the salad gives the recipe a tropical feel which is perfect for warm summer days.
Do you use meat substitutes in dishes? Let us know in the comments below.
For more healthy cooking recipes, please visit my Pinterest Healthy Cooking Board.
- 6 ounces of Gardein chicken Strips
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups fresh salad greens
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 baby cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple cubed
Marinade for the chicken
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the Gardein chicken pieces in 1 tsp of olive oil for a few minutes on each side and then place into the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine all of the other salad ingredients on a plate.
- Use a food processor to combine the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Add the chicken to the top of the salad, along with the marinade and top with the vinaigrette. Enjoy!
(meat eaters can use boneless, skinless chicken)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 792Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1038mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 12gSugar: 47gProtein: 23g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.