This pan fried swai with Indian spices fits right into my clean eating mood. In a word, it is delicioso!
For the last 10 days, I have had a case of mommy’s time out going on. Not in the way that you might think, with me taking a vacation or a must needed rest. My time out has come from a new attitude to my fitness and health.
I have decided to take a vacation from eating less than healthy food. I’ve totally cleaned up the way I eat, and it has payed off big time for me in so many ways.
Savor the Aroma of Pan Fried Swai with Indian Spices.
I am not a fan of fish normally. But it is calling my name lately. Just waiting for me to do something special with it.
I don’t care for fishy tasting dishes, so when I prepare fish, I like it to have a lot of other flavors. Those flavors come today with a wonderful blend of Indian spices. I am really fond of Indian cuisine, and so is my husband.
The dish starts with the fish getting a new wardrobe and color. This comes from using sweet smoked paprika, ground cumin seed and turmeric, plus a good dash of Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to boot.
It dresses up that plain white coat into something so much more vibrant. Just look at the difference in color after the rub. And that is before it’s cooked!
Don’t you just love easy to prepare dishes that are on the table in a flash? A quick pan fry for a few minutes each side, and you will have an aromatic and beautifully presented fish to serve.
Add a steamed vegetable (I’m having a broccoli love affair right now) and a tossed salad and you will give new meaning to the term “Mommy’s time out.”
And what could be better to serve with this delicious meal than a bottle of Pinot Grigio wine. This Italian wine is delicate and fruity with a long lasting finish. It is quite a dry wine, and pairs beautifully with this dish.
Plus, who can resist a label that says Mommy’s Time Out?
My husband is from the UK and Indian food is very popular there, but he thought this rivaled many Indian fish dishes that he had eaten.
Quite a great compliment for such an easy recipe. I can’t take credit for much, though. It’s the blend of spices that gives the dish its flavor.
- 1 lb farm raised swai
- 1/2 Tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Kosher salt and freshly ground cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, cumin seed and turmeric. Liberally sprinkle the fish with the spice blend and then season both sides with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the fish to the pan and cover. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, then turn, cover again and cook an additional 2 minutes on the other side.
- Check the thickest part of the fish to test doneness. The fish should not be pink or translucent in the middle. but a more opaque color. If the thickest part is still under done, cook an additional couple of minutes.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and a tossed salad.