This spinach and onion quiche is hearty and filling and will please even the most ardent meat eaters in your life.
I am a quiche girl and my husband loves them too.
There is nothing quite like the combination of eggs, cheese and cream with your favorite veggies to say that you are going to have a dish of comfort food.
Surprisingly, quiches are easy to make. You can make your own pie crust if you are the ambitious type, but deep dish frozen pie crusts work very well too.
The key to a good quiche is to turn down the oven after the first 15 minutes. It makes a huge difference!
This recipe for Ham, spinach and aged Gouda cheese quiche is delicious. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the ingredients.
I used onions, red peppers and spinach in this recipe but so many other ingredients will work too.
Why not try mushrooms and broccoli, or red onions, garlic and switch the ham out for crab for something really special? The sky is the limit on what you put in with the eggs and cream.
This recipe is delicious served both hot or cold. Serve with a side salad and enjoy!
For more quiche ideas, check out these recipes:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced ham
- 1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs (I use free range eggs)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of red peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup of onions, diced
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425*.
- Make he pastry first. Mix all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until a firm ball of dough forms. Let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the pastry dough is in the fridge you can make the mixture for the filling. Saute the onions and peppers in the olive oil until translucent and add to a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs in a large bowl with whisk for a few seconds. Add in the heavy cream and whisk until well combined. Stir in the onion and pepper mixture ham, cheese, salt, nutmeg, and pepper and mix lightly.
- Take out the dough and roll it on a floured board. Press the pastry dough into an 11 inch round pie pan.
- Pour the filling into the pan. and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300* and bake for 30 minutes longer. Be sure to let stand for 15 minutes before serving so that it cuts easily.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.