This recipe for spicy shrimp uses a salad slaw base that is full of nutritious and healthy veggies. Just the perfect dish for a hot summer night.
Let’s make some Spicy Shrimp with Cabbage Slaw
Be sure to arrange the star ingredients, in this case, the luscious shrimp so the eye focuses on them when you look at the dish. The arrangement is half the recipe, I think.
This recipe has been adapted from one I found in an old Pot luck cookbook. I’d love to see one of my friends bring this to a pot luck dinner. How about you?
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- 1 1/2 pound fresh large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces of rice noodles
- 4 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded bok choy
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 /2 cup of thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup of diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup of sweet red pepper strips, diced
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp of canola oil
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp of honey
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. De-vein them.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic and crushed red pepper for about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook for 30-4 minutes until they turn pink. Do not over cook or they will be tough. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the noodles slightly in light boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain. Cut into smaller pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the vegetables, cilantro and drained rice noodles. Pour the lime ginger dressing over the veggies. Transfer to a serving platter and arrange the cooked shrimp over the top.
- Serves 8.