This recipe for Slow Cooker Braised Chicken and Noodles with Wine and Tomatoes is full of flavor. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs because they give me the most tender results. This is nothing like crock pot recipes to make meal prep easy.Crock pot meals are a big help to any busy cook. But wait – How do your slow cooker meals end up? If they are not living up to your expectations, you may be making one of these crock pot mistakes.
Using the boneless thighs saves a lot of calories, but the hearty meat of the thighs is delicious, especially when infused with this rich tomato and wine sauce. I used a Riesling. Be sure to use a good quality cooking wine. Don’t skim when it comes to cooking with wine. It makes all the difference.
The recipe is easy. There are just a few steps to cook the onion and garlic and start the wine sauce off and then into the slow cooker everything goes while you do something more enjoyable than cooking on a hot summer day.
You will come home to the delicious aroma of the braised chicken and a cook kitchen to boot.
If you are looking for a slow cooker, be sure to get a good sized one. I’ve been through so many slow cookers and each time I go up in size. You can only fill a crock pot about 2/3 -3/4 full for best results so size really matters.
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used a Riesling)
- 14 ounces Italian tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 oz of egg noodles cooked and drained
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Spray a large slow cooker with Pam cooking spray.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool.
- Drain off all but 1 tbsp of the bacon grease from the pan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic, fresh thyme, pepper and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the wine, bring to a boil and add the tomatoes and their juice and salt; stir well.
- Place chicken thighs in a slow cooker. Sprinkle the bacon over the chicken and top with the broccoli florets. Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken. Combine well. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 3 hours on High or 6 hours on Low. Remove the bay leaf. Serve over the cooked noodles, sprinkled with parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 150mg Sodium: 747mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Protein: 37g
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."