We love chili at our house. It does not matter if it is warm or cold outside, a big helping bowl of this hearty white bean chili always hits the spot. It is my latest addition to my crock pot recipes collection and my family just loved it.
This recipe can be made with ground beef, or for a really white chili look, and less calories, use ground turkey or chicken. All three work well. I used ground beef today because it is what I had on hand.
The best part about this chili, other than the great taste, is that you can put it all in a crock pot, turn it on and forget about it until dinner time. (Other than the fact that your house will smell great while it is cooking, of course.)
Serve with crusty bread or home made tortilla chips.
Don’t have a crock pot? You don’t know what you are missing out on. This cooking device is one that I use most in my kitchen, all year long. It gives great flavor to any dish, and meat cooked in it turns out fork tender and delicious.
When you go shopping, get a large crock pot. I’ve replaced mine several times because they fill up more than you will think and they cook best when only 3/4 full.
If you like this white chili, Land O Lakes also has a great white chili with chicken.
- 15.5 oz can of Navy Beans
- 15 oz can of Great Northern Beans
- 15.5 oz can of Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 small diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp of chili powder. * (More if you like it hotter)
- 1 pound of ground beef, chicken or turkey
- To Garnish:
- Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
- Rinse the beans and place in a crock pot.
- Heat the oil and cook the onion, pepper and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add to the slow cooker.
- Using the same skillet, brown the ground beef (turkey or chicken) and add to the crock pot.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Spoon into bowls, garnish with cheese and sour cream and enjoy.
- Great served with crusty bread or home made tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 17gSugar: 10gProtein: 39g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.