Today’s featured recipe comes to us from my friend Regina who used to blog at Molly Mel.
Regina regularly submits Brazilian recipes for us to sample, but today she has chosen a Portuguese dish that is often served at Easter time.
It is called Bacalhoada, but is more commonly known as Salted Codfish casserole.
Salted Codfish Casserole Recipe.
This dish is served in both Brazil and Portugal.
My husband is English and he loves Cod, so I am always on the lookout for new and interesting ways to prepare the dish.
Regina says that salted codfish isn’t an item that is easily-found in the supermarket, and is quite expensive if you do find it. That is why the dish is served for a special occasion like Easter.
With a good quality fish and fresh ingredients like this, the recipe can’t help but be delicious!
One of the keys to making this dish well is to soak the salted codfish for 24 hours to remove the salt. I have given you the basic recipe below. All photos are are used with permission of Regina.
- 1 1/2 pounds of cod, salted, boned and skinned
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- 1 can of black olives
- 1/2 pound of sweet Campari tomatoes
- 1/2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 cup sweet peppers, red, orange and green
- dash black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Soak the codfish in water for about 24 hours, changing the water at least 5 times to get rid of the salt. Drain well and pat it dry.
- Cut the fish into 2" square chunks. Taste for saltiness, and set aside.
- Make a homemade tomato sauce by skinning the tomatoes in hot water and cutting them into small pieces.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions garlic and peppers.
- Season with the black pepper and add the olives.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Peel and slice the potatoes and cook them until tender.
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil.
- Layer the dish with potatoes, tomato sauce, codfish, and olive oil. Repeat with a second layer of all.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until the fish has started to flake. Serve with white rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 31g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.