The rose has long been the symbol of love and is often given as a gift on Valentine’s Day. These romantic rose quotes and sayings with gorgeous photos of roses will make you think fondly of your special person.Quotations on roses are a favorite with the readers of The Gardening Cook, and they are also lots of fun for me to make. Creating graphics that combine flower images with romantic sayings always puts me in a loving mood.
Fun Facts about Roses
Brush up on your knowledge of roses with these fun facts.
- The botanical name for the rose is rosa.
- The world’s oldest living rose is thought to be 1000 years old.
- There are no actual black roses. If you see them at a florist shop, they have been dyed.
- Each rose color has a meaning. See the meanings of rose colors here.
- The most expensive rose in the world is a 2006 variety by rose breeder David Austin. He called it Juliet. Breeding took 15 years and cost 5 million dollars.
- The world’s tallest rose is featured in the Guinness Book of World Records. It is 18 feet tall!
- There are over 100 species of the rose.
- Roses are symbols of love, passion and balance.
- Rose hips are known to be full of vitamin C and are used in jams.
- Rose fossils date back 35 million years.
- The rose is one of only three flowers that were mentioned in the Bible. The other flowers are lilies and camphire.
- Most species of roses have 5 petals but a few have only four.
- The rose is the national flower of England.
- The “War of Roses” occurred in 15th century England. The war got its name because roses were used to symbolize the two sides fighting. White roses symbolized Yorkshire and red roses symbolized Lancaster.
- President Ronald Reagan officially made the rose the national flower emblem of the United States on November 20, 1986.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom. - Old Chinese Proverb. 🌹 See more romantic rose quotes on Always the Holidays. Click To Tweet
Here are my romantic rose quotes
I love making graphics of beautiful flower images with quotes and sayings embedded in them. I find them to be very popular on social media and people also love to print them out and use them as homemade greeting cards for a special friend or loved one.
And what better time to do this, than this time of the year, with Valentine’s Day right around the corner?
Here are some of my favorite images of roses with sayings that make me think more about love and romance.
“The more you love roses, the more you must bear with thorns.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
“True love is like little roses, sweet, fragrant in small doses.” – Ana Claudia Antues
“Roses are red, violets are blue, I’ll never love someone the way I love you.” – Anonymous
“If I had a rose for every time I thought of you, I’d be picking roses for a lifetime.”– Swedish Proverb
“Love and a red rose can’t be hid.” – Thomas Holcroft
“A woman is like a rose…If you take good care of her, you will see love blossom.” – Anonymous
“Love is like a rose. When pressed between two lifetimes, it will last forever.” – Unknown
“This love is the rose that blooms forever.” – Rumi
“There may be many flowers in one’s life…but only one rose.” – Anonymous
“A rose speaks of love silently in a language known only to the heart.” – author unknown
More Romantic Rose Quotes
Still looking for some inspiration? Here are some more rose words of love. If you have a favorite quote, please leave it in the comments below and I’ll try to find a picture to make it into a rose sayings graphic.
1. “A relationship is like a rose. How long it lasts, no one knows.” – Rob Cella
2. “But he who dares not grasp the thorn, should never crave the rose.” ― Anne Brontë
3. “The red rose whispers of passion, And the white rose breathes of love; O, the red rose is a falcon, And the white rose is a dove.” – John Boyle O’Reilly
4.“A life filled with love must have some thorns, but a life empty of love will have no roses.” – Anonymous
5. “I’d rather have roses on my table that diamonds on my neck.” – Emma Goldman
6. “It’s the time you spent on your rose that makes her so important.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
7. “Friends are the roses of life… pick them carefully and avoid the thorns!”– Unknown Author
8. “The world is a rose, smell it, and pass it to your friends.” – Persian Proverb
9. “Love is sweeter than any rose. Love pricks you far deeper than any thorn.” – Unknown
10. “Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.” – Mark Overby
Pin these Romantic Rose Quotes sayings for later.
Would you like a reminder of these romantic sayings with roses? Just pin this image to one of your motivation boards on Pinterest.
If you love quotes and sayings on pretty pictures, be sure to also check out these posts:
- Inspirational Fall Sayings and Quotes
- Motivational Quotes to Inspire You
- Gardening Quotes and Inspirational Sayings
- Inspirational Flower Quotes
- 20 Best Sunflower Quotes
A note on these Romantic Rose quotes
Making graphics such as these rose sayings take me quite a long time to do. If you share them on social media (and thank you for that!) please link to this page, rather than uploading the image yourself.
Do you grow any flowers in your garden that you use to show love to a relative or loved one? I’d love to hear your story in the comments below.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."