These romantic rose quotes and sayings with gorgeous photos of roses will make you think fondly of your special person.
The rose has long been the symbol of love and is often given as a gift to show how much you care.
Quotations on roses are a favorite with the readers of The Gardening Cook, and they are also lots of fun for me to make.
Creating graphics that combine flower images with romantic sayings always puts me in a loving mood.
I find rose quotes to be very popular on social media and people also love to print them out and use them as homemade greeting cards for a special friend or loved one.
Fun Facts about Roses
In Western culture, our fascination with roses dates back to the times of Greek mythology. Many believed that the red rose was created by Aphrodite, the goddess of love.
The rose is still a symbol of love and this is evidenced by the amount of them sold on Valentine’s Day.
Before we get into the quotes, let’s brush up on your knowledge of roses with a few fun facts.
- The botanical name for the rose is rosa.
- The world’s oldest living rose is thought to be 1000 years old.
- There are no actual black roses. If you see them at a florist shop, they have been dyed.
- Each rose color has a meaning. See the meanings of rose colors here.
- The most expensive rose in the world is a 2006 variety by rose breeder David Austin. He called it Juliet. Breeding took 15 years and cost 5 million dollars.
- The world’s tallest rose is featured in the Guinness Book of World Records. It is 18 feet tall!
- There are over 100 species of the rose.
- Roses are symbols of love, passion and balance.
- Rose hips are known to be full of vitamin C and are used in jams.
- Rose fossils date back 35 million years.
- The rose is one of only three flowers that were mentioned in the Bible. The other flowers are lilies and camphire.
- Most species of roses have 5 petals but a few have only four.
- The rose is the national flower of England.
- The “War of Roses” occurred in 15th century England. The war got its name because roses were used to symbolize the two sides fighting. White roses symbolized Yorkshire and red roses symbolized Lancaster.
- President Ronald Reagan officially made the rose the national flower emblem of the United States on November 20, 1986.
Share these rose love quotes on Twitter:A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom. - Old Chinese Proverb. 🌹 See more rose romantic quotes on Always the Holidays. Click To Tweet
I love making graphics of beautiful flower images with quotes and sayings embedded in them.
And what better time to do this, than this time of the year, with Valentine’s Day right around the corner? Here are some of my favorites:
Romantic red rose love quotes to share
The red rose symbolizes romance, love, beauty, and courage and it is the perfect rose for Valentine’s Day. Why not share one of these red roses quotes with your special someone?
“Roses are red, violets are blue, I’ll never love someone the way I love you.”
“Love and a red rose can’t be hid.”
– This red rose quote is by Thomas Holcroft
“There may be many flowers in one’s life…but only one rose.”
– Anonymous quote about the rose
“A rose speaks of love silently in a language known only to the heart.”
– author unknown
More red rose love quotes
- “The red rose whispers of passion, And the white rose breathes of love; O, the red rose is a falcon, And the white rose is a dove.” – John Boyle O’Reilly
- “O my Luve is like a red, red rose, That’s newly sprung in June; O my Luve is like the melody, That’s sweetly played in tune.” – Robert Burns
- “Her lips like a dew on a red rose. Her eyes like a rainbow, In every drop of rain walking goddess glistened like a diamond”―Kshanasurya
- “The mind is a red rose with thorns… Don’t get too close.”―Bert McCoy
- “The pink roses are love hopeful and expectant. White roses are love dead or forsaken–but the red roses–ah, Leslie, what are the red roses? Love triumphant.” – Lucy Maud Montgomery
Rose thorn quotes
Roses may be beautiful but most of them come with thorns. There are dozens of inspirational rose quotes that feature thorns!
“The more you love roses, the more you must bear with thorns.”
―rose thorns quote by Matshona Dhliwayo
More quotes about roses with thorns
- “But he who dares not grasp the thorn, should never crave the rose.” ― Anne Brontë
- “A life filled with love must have some thorns, but a life empty of love will have no roses.” – Anonymous
- “Friends are the roses of life… pick them carefully and avoid the thorns!”– Unknown Author
- “Love is sweeter than any rose. Love pricks you far deeper than any thorn.” – Unknown
- “Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.”– Mark Overby
- “No rose without a thorn.” – French Proverb
- “A rose’s rarest essence lives in the thorn.” – Rumi
- “The sharp thorn often produces delicate roses.” – Ovid
- “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
- “Thorns and roses grow on the same tree.” – Turkish Proverb
- “When life throws thorns, hunt for roses.” – Anonymous
- “I’d rather let you cover all my roads with thorns than with dead roses.” – Nema Al-Araby
- “Roses fall, but the thorns remain.” – Dutch Proverb
- “A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom.” – Chinese Proverb
Here are some romantic rose quotes:
Because roses are given on Valentine’s Day, most people equate them with romance.
Here are some of my favorite quotes about roses and love that make me think more about romance.
“True love is like little roses, sweet, fragrant in small doses.”
-pink roses quote by Ana Claudia Antues
“If I had a rose for every time I thought of you, I’d be picking roses for a lifetime.”
–this rose flower quote is an old Swedish Proverb
“Love is like a rose. When pressed between two lifetimes, it will last forever.”
– Unknown author
“This love is the rose that blooms forever.”
– A rose love quote by Rumi
“A woman is like a rose…If you take good care of her, you will see love blossom.”
– Anonymous romantic rose quote
More romantic rose quotes
Still looking for some inspiration? Here are some more rose words of love. If you have a favorite quote, please leave it in the comments below and I’ll try to find a picture to make it into a rose sayings graphic.
- “A relationship is like a rose. How long it lasts, no one knows.” – Rob Cella
- “It’s the time you spent on your rose that makes her so important.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- “The world is a rose, smell it, and pass it to your friends.” – Persian Proverb
- “Soon the purple dark must bruise lily and bleeding-heart and rose, and the little Cupid lose eyes and ears and chin and nose.” – Donald Justice
Another rose quote to tweet“My life is part humor, part roses, part thorns.” says Bret Michaels. Find more inspirational rose quotes on The Gardening Cook. Click To Tweet
Pin these romantic rose quotes and sayings for later
Would you like a reminder of these rose flower quotes? Just pin this image to one of your motivation boards on Pinterest.
You can also watch our rose quotes video on YouTube.
If you love quotes and sayings on pretty pictures, be sure to also check out these posts:
- Inspirational Fall Sayings and Quotes
- Motivational Quotes to Inspire You
- Gardening Quotes and Inspirational Sayings
- Inspirational Flower Quotes
- Inspirational Quotes about Hope
- 20 Best Sunflower Quotes
- Good Luck Quotes for St. Patrick’s Day
A note on these romantic rose quotes
Making graphics such as these rose sayings take me quite a long time to do.& If you share them on social media (and thank you for that!) please link to this page, rather than uploading the image yourself.
Do you grow any flowers in your garden that you use to show love to a relative or loved one? I’d love to hear your story in the comments below.
Admin note: this post of romantic rose quotes first appeared on the blog in January of 2020. I have updated the post to add new rose quotes, more information on roses, and a video for you to enjoy.
Rose Bud Coloring Sheet
Are you a fan of adult coloring? Use this coloring sheet to color the Rose and add your own love quote to it for a personalized Valentine's Day card for your special someone.
- Colored pencils or pens
- Printer paper
- Computer printer
- Add paper to your printer and print out the image below.
- Use colored pens or pencils to color the rose.
- Add your own special love quote.
- Share with your loved one.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Saturday 30th of January 2021
Wednesday 5th of August 2020
good collections keep it up
Good night rose images
Thursday 9th of July 2020
Very nice collection.
Wednesday 8th of July 2020
Wow, This article is awesome I love them. ❤💕 😍 ❤
Tuesday 2nd of June 2020
I like the quotes
Sunday 31st of January 2021
Yes I also like