This Mexican inspired recipe for Pollo a la Crema features chicken breasts in a crema sauce with mushrooms and sautéed green peppers.
It is rich and creamy with a spicy sauce.
When my husband and I eat out at our favorite Mexican restaurant, pollo a la crema is always a popular choice. Would you like to have it more often than an eating out experience?
This dish is very easy to make at home. Serve the recipe with warm tortillas and a side of re-fried beans and Mexican rice and you will have one of your favorite Mexican restaurant meals any time you wish, at home!
What is in Pollo A La Crema?
Pollo a la crema is flavored by the use of Mexican crema, onions, and sweet peppers. You can use green peppers or colorful peppers, depending on what you have on hand.
Both taste great. If you have a fondness for more spice, you can also add in some jalapeño peppers, as well.
What is Mexican crema?
Mexican Crema is a tangy and creamy condiment that is very similar to sour cream. However, it is thicker and richer than the sour cream American’s are used to. .
The thick and slightly tangy mixture adds the perfect touch of creaminess to many Mexican dishes. It is often used on tacos, tostadas, enchiladas or anyt spicy food to make it less hot.
You can try using sour cream or heavy cream if you don’t have Mexican crema. However, sour cream has a tendency to curdle in hot preparations and is thicker than Mexican cream.
Also, Mexican crema is not quite as sour as sour cream and is thicker than heavy cream so the recipe works best with Mexican crema.
Making pollo a la crema
Start by cooking your chicken pieces in hot oil. Set aside and keep warm.
Add the onions and peppers and cook them gently.
Stir in the mushrooms and cook gently. Return the chicken to the pan. Combine the Mexican crema and paprika and cook until the sauce is hot and bubbly.
I like to serve this dish hot with refried beans and Spanish rice. Add some tortillas, too, if you want a more hearty meal.
Tasting pollo a la crema
This recipe for pollo a la crema is creamy and decadent with the warm smoky taste of paprika. I love the way the peppers and onions compliment the sauce.
And for those of you who added the spicy jalapeño peppers, there is also a nice kick of heat!
For another tasty Mexican meal be sure to check out this Chori Pollo recipe.
Would you like a reminder of this recipe for Pollo a la crema? Just pin this image to one of your cooking boards on Pinterest.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced fairly thick
- 1/2 cups of green pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoons chicken bouillon crystals (can also use a stock cube)
- 1/2 cup of Mexican crema
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- optional: jalapeno pepper if you like it more spicy
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Saute chicken strips, peppers and onion until chicken is no longer pink & onions are translucent and peppers are softened. About 5 or 6 minutes.
- If you want more spice, add in a chopped jalapeno pepper now.
- Add the cream, mushrooms, paprika & chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. The mixture will be somewhat thin, but it should have a creamy texture like the consistency of a white sauce.
- Serve hot with warmed flour tortillas, re fried beans and Spanish Rice.
Serving Size:half the recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 612Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 1160mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 49g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.