I like any plant that has a daisy like flower, so Coreopsis is a natural for me. This pretty perennial is today’s plant of the day. It is called Coreopsis Star Cluster.
It is easy to see where the plant gets its name. The lovely yellow center radiates out in a star pattern with a gorgeous purple color that also tinges the edges of the petals. The common name for Coreopsis is “tickseed.”
The plant is fairly easy to grow. Since it is a North American native, it will be right at home in most USA gardens. Just follow these growing tips:
- Perennial. It will come back year after year. Does well in zones 5-9.
- Needs full sun
- Height grows to about 30″ tall and 30″ so keep this in mind when you plant it.
- Blooms early summer all the way through fall
- Will tolerate most soil types and can also take dry soil fairly well but does best in average, well draining soil.
- Deer resitant
- Great for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds
- Has showy flowers that are great for bringing indoors.
If you like the look of this plant, see Hirts Perennials on Amazon.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."