Pestiños are flaky and delicate Spanish cookies from Andalucía, in southern Spain. They are normally served at Christmas but can be made any time.
I love making cookies this time of the year for cookie swaps. Another great Christmas cookie recipe is the one for lemon snowball cookies. They bring out the holiday spirit just like these Spanish pestiños cookies do.
Celebrate with Spanish Pestiños
Pestiños are very easy to make and the ingredients are probably already in your pantry – simply flour, anise seeds or flavoring, white wine and oil. Roll, cut and fry. Once they are fried, you can dip them in warm honeyand enjoy!
Why not try to add a bit of Spanish flavor to your Christmas holiday menu selection with some of these Pestiños?
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening cook on Facebook.
- 1 cup of Riesling or other good white wine
- ½ teaspoon Mediterranean sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon anise seeds very finely chopped
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 quart of coconut oil for frying
- ¼ cup Cinnamon Sugar (combine granulated sugar and cinnamon)
- In a small bowl combine the Riesling, sea salt, lemon zest and orange zest with the olive oil and the anise seeds.
- Stir in the flour and cinnamon and knead until you get a smooth dough.
- Roll dough to a ⅛ inch thickness on a lightly floured silicone baking sheet.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into 2 x 2 inch squares. To make the pestinos, take two opposite corners from each square and press them together in the center. You can make them stick with a small amount of water.
- Heat the coconut oil until the temperature is 375°F. Carefully drop the formed pestiños into the hot oil and allow them to float to the surface. When they are golden brown flip them over. Remove from oil and place on paper towels and toss in cinnamon sugar.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."