Now that my daughter has left home, there are only two people to cook for – me and my husband. But I often make extras of whatever new dish I am cooking at night.
I don’t mind left overs, but with a bit of creativity, the extras make great additions to salads for lunch so I feel as though I am not eating the same thing as last night.
The other night for dinner, I made the most delicious Honey Mustard Pecan crusted baked Chicken dish. The recipe called for 4 and I made it that way. Now I have two lovely pecan crusted chicken breasts just waiting for me to do something new with them.
Since I love salads, I decided to transform the chicken into a delicious lunch time treat for me.
I have a bunch of left over grapefruit that I got at the store when I thought I was buying oranges and they also made a great addition to the salad.
This makes a hearty salad….probably enough for two or one hungry girl!
Pecan Crusted Spinach Salad
This delicious spinach salad features pecan crusted chicken breasts and a fresh mustard dressing.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp. spring onions, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1 pecan crusted chicken breast. (get the recipe here(http://recipesjust4u.com/honey-mustard-crusted-chicken-breast-with-pecans)
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and grated
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled and cut into chunks
- For the salad dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, spring onions, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the extra virgin olive oil until well blended. Set aside. (best if kept at room temperature.)
- For the salad: Slice the chicken breasts crosswise into 1/2 -inch slices. (I made my chicken can be made the day before and served it cold today.)
- In a large bowl, toss spinach and carrot together with the vinaigrette. Place the sliced chicken breast on top of the salad and scatter some of the cherry tomatoes, and grapefruit chunks around each plate. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
24 Easy Meal Ideas for Cooked & Leftover Chicken
Monday 19th of May 2014
[…] Pecan Crusted Spinach Salad from The Gardening Cook […]