This Paleo Nutella banana ice cream is so rich and creamy and, with just a few substitutes, can be enjoyed by anyone who is trying to follow a clean eating lifestyle.
I have been on a Nutella kick lately. Did you know this delicious spread even has its own designated day? Nutella day is celebrated on February 5.
This Paleo Nutella banana ice cream will tempt the most ardent Nutella fan without a bit of diet guilt.
Of course, the normal Nutella is a no-no on a Paleo diet. It has both sugar and dairy in it and neither are allowed if you wish to eat Paleo style.
But, as always in the world of cooking, there are ways to enjoy the things you love without the guilt. My substitutes for this Paleo Nutella Banana Ice Cream look like this:
- In place of the cream use a coconut milk. I used a lite version but the normal coconut milk is fine and will make a creamier ice cream.
- Instead of Nutella, I used NutButter (chocolate and hazelnut variety)
- Instead of granulated sugar, I used coconut sugar.
- and the rest as they say is all natural in the form of bananas
This ice cream could not be easier. Be sure to use very rip bananas for the best flavor. Freeze them and then cut them into slices.
Add these to a food processor, along with your other ingredients.
A few pulses of the food processor will make a scrumptious looking, thick and cream ice cream mixture.
I know it will be tempting to dig right in now, and you could. It’s cold and tempting and super tasty looking.But, at this stage, the consistency is more like a thick, cold pudding. It still tastes great but doesn’t scoop the way ice cream does.
So into the freezer for another couple of hours to set until firm. When it is done you will have a REAL ICE CREAM that is scoop-able so that you can server it in a bowl or in an ice cream cone (cones only if you don’t Follow a Paleo diet, sorry folks!).
Mine had only frozen about an hour to get to this consistency.
The flavor of this Paleo Nutella Banana ice cream is amazing. As in dive right in with a big ole spoon and enjoy it kind of amazing. It is rich and creamy and fruity and chocolatey and hazelnuty (wait is that a word???).
Just pure Nutella heaven in a bowl without the guilt.
Add a couple of fresh banana slices and grate some dark baking chocolate over the top and dig right in. This will tempt the most ardent Nutella fans.
It’s THAT GOOD!!
Who would have thought that pulsed up frozen bananas could deliver this taste sensation? You will make this again and again and not just for Nutella day. My husband just loves this stuff.
For another great ice cream dessert, check out these almond ice cream sandwich cookies. So YUM!
Have you tried using frozen bananas to make ice cream? What did you think of the results? If you liked this dessert, be sure to check out my Paleo smoothie recipe too.
- 5 bananas, frozen and cut into slices
- 1/2 cup of chocolate hazelnut NutButter
- 6 tbsp of pure organic coconut sugar
- to garnish:
- Slices of fresh banana
- Grated pure 85% dark baking chocolate
- Place all of the ingredients for the ice cream in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place in a freezer proof container and freeze until firm, about 1-2 hours
- Serve in a bowl with some sliced fresh bananas and shavings of dark baking chocolate.
- Can also be served on an ice cream cone if you are not following a Paleo diet.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 5gSugar: 41gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.