This Orange Bundt Cake with a light orange glaze is my latest attempt at pleasing my husband’s sweet tooth.
My husband loves any type of dessert that is made with fruit. Lemon meringue pies, orange cheesecakes, apple crumble – you name it, if it has fruit in it, he’ll love it.
There is something just amazing about the taste of citrus flavors in a cake. It adds a bright fresh taste that makes you wonder why you relied so much on a lot of sugar in other recipes to make your cakes taste great.
Let’s get started on the Orange Bundt Cake by getting out the ingredients.
I used cake flour to make this cake. It ends up making a lighter cake. Light cake plus the lightness of oranges is a match made in heaven!
Also, this looks like a lot of orange zest but don’t skimp on that part. That is what gives the cake its amazing orange color and taste!Whisk the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ones in another. Look at those pretty colors!
One of the keys to making this cake light is to be careful not to over mix it. I used a stand mixer to combine my wet ingredients but went very slowly and for just a short time to fold in the dry ingredients.
A paddle attachment
For the Cake:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice - about 2-3 oranges
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- orange zest from the oranges used above
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Orange Zest
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare the bundt cake pan by greasing and flouring it well. I like to use Baker's Joy for easy release.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the granulated sugar, eggs, milk, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla extract and oil.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients using a paddle attachment, until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake and bake for about 40-45 minutes until lightly golden brown, It is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Orange Glaze:
- Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Drizzle slowly on the cooled cake.
- Grate some orange zest lightly on the cake and serve.