This mushroom chicken recipe is a twist on the traditional marsala recipe. It is light and hearty, and has tons of flavor.
One of my favorite recipes is my remake of chicken Marsala. It is easy to do and makes a great dinner party entrée. Tonight, we will use white wine and tarragon to give the dish a very different flavor.
The sauce is very tangy and freezes well, so you can make extra and freeze both the chicken and sauce for another night when you don’t have much time.
Mushroom Chicken Makes a Great Dinner Party Entrée
If you have not used fresh tarragon, you are in for a treat. It has a slight licorice flavor and pairs so well with white wine. And the mushrooms take on the flavor of the sauce so well. Our whole family just loves it.
The meal is fast as well, so it’s perfect for busy week nights when time is short. But don’t let the speed fool you. This recipe is perfect enough to serve at any fancy dinner party.
Serve over noodles or with left over rice fritters. Sprinkle with parsley.
I try to slim down all of my recipes. You can reduce the amount of olive oil listed by using an olive oil mister, or Pam cooking spray. I use a non stick pan for all my cooking to reduce the amount of oil needed.
Do you make adjustments to tried and true recipes like I did with this mushroom chicken recipe? I’d love to hear about one of your make overs in the comments below.
Chicken with Mushrooms in A White Wine Sauce
This mushroom chicken recipe features white wine and tarragon to give the traditional recipe an interesting twist.
- 16 oz boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms., sliced
- 1/2 cup of dry wine
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- dash of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh tarragon (or 2 teaspoons of dried tarragon)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water ( or chicken stock.)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley to garnish
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Dice the fresh tarragon and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Cook the chicken in 2 teaspoons of olive oil on both sides until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove and keep covered.
- Dice the onion and garlic and cook in the same pan with an additional 1 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add remaining olive oil and cook the mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Squeeze the lemon over the mushrooms, onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir. Add chicken stock.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce is smooth. If it is too thick add more wine or chicken stock.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat well. Cook for a few more minutes until chicken has reheated.
- Serve with noodles or over rice. Sprinkle with parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.