One of my favorite recipes is my remake of chicken Marsala. It is easy to do and makes a great dinner party entree. This mushroom chicken recipe features white wine and tarragon to give the traditional recipe an interesting twist.
Mushroom Chicken Makes a Great Dinner Party Entree
The sauce is very tangy and freezes well, so you can make extra and freeze both the chicken and sauce for another night when you don’t have much time.
If you have not used fresh tarragon, you are in for a treat. It has a slight licorice flavor and pairs so well with white wine. And the mushrooms take on the flavor of the sauce so well. Our whole family just loves it.
The meal is fast as well, so it’s perfect for busy week nights when time is short. But don’t let the speed fool you. This recipe is perfect enough to serve at any fancy dinner party.
Serve with noodles or over rice. Sprinkle with parsley.
I try to slim down all of my recipes. You can reduce the amount of olive oil listed by using an olive oil mister, or Pam cooking spray. I use a non stick pan for all my cooking to reduce the amount of oil needed.
Do you make adjustments to tried and true recipes like I did with this mushroom chicken recipe? I’d love to hear about one of your make overs in the comments below.
- 16 oz boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms., sliced
- 1/2 cup of dry wine
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- dash of pepper
- 2 tbsp of fresh tarragon (or 2 tsp of dried tarragon)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water ( or chicken stock.)
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Dice the fresh tarragon and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Cook the chicken in 2 tsp of olive oil on both sides until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove and keep covered.
- Dice the onion and garlic and cook in the same pan with an additional 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add remaining olive oil and cook the mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Squeeze the lemon over the mushrooms, onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir. Add chicken stock.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce is smooth. If it is too thick add more wine or chicken stock.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat well. Cook for a few more minutes until chicken has reheated.
- Serve with noodles or over rice. Sprinkle with parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 43g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.